EPA - New Rules, Many Stoves will become obsolete

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what the new wood burning insert is going to look like? How to remove that particulate filter every couple of weeks? Catalytic converter? Or does that not help with particulates?

I wonder what the new wood burning insert is going to look like? How to remove that particulate filter every couple of weeks? Catalytic converter? Or does that not help with particulates?

Wood burning will be banned..........................................lol

Gasificating wood burning inserts? I like that euro boiler/room heater that you see on ads here. Now all I'd have to do is tear out the old one, rip out some sheetrock and studs, put it in the chase, plumb it up, and cut up about 35 cords of wood to 12" length.

Stop worrying folks, no one is going to take your stove out of your burning hot hands.

After our stove was inspected and passed by our current house ins. co. (Co-operators), we called our car insurance co. (O.T.I.P.) to get a quote as we would like to have it all under one roof to enable us to get a discount. O.T.I.P. said that we could only burn one ton of pellets max. per year in order for them to insure us. As part of the inspection, we were asked how many pellets we would burn a year. We did not have an answer because we have never been through a winter with this stove. That part was left blank and we have never had a follow-up call from our current insurance co. I guess we will just sleeping dogs lie. Could other ins. co. implement this with the new standards that may come into effect?

Last edited:
Can someone point me to the section in the Constitution that says that the Federal Government shall have the authority to regulate how I heat my house.............

Can someone point me to the section in the Constitution that says that the Federal Government shall have the authority to regulate how I heat my house.............

Article one, section eight, clause eighteen.

It's right under-you have to purchase health insurance!

And you have to buy car insurance and homeowners insurance all laws passed by the government

And you have to buy car insurance and homeowners insurance all laws passed by the government

No law requires you to buy homeowner's insurance. Your mortgage company is the one that requires that.

Article one, section eight, clause eighteen.

Here is the clause that BrotherBart is talking about : "To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof."

I suspect the new Woodstock stove already meets the spec. The Lopi Cape Cod (freestander) too. No reason why that tech couldn't apply to an insert as well. So far no one is complaining about unusual maintenance requirements, but they are extolling the virtues of more heat.

I have to say it was darned impressive in DC at the decathlon to see 8 chimneys all with no indication of smoke and no smoke smell downwind. This is with current technology.

Last edited:

Tell me where the new regs say that. They just determine what will be on the market about 3-5 yrs from now.

Last edited:
I suspect the new Woodstock stove already meets the spec

Are you referring to the Progress Hybrid?
I believe the two stoves you are referring too are to big for my house.

I was referring to the Ideal Steel. There will be plenty of new models, sizes and options if the new regs pass. The point is that this can be done with current tech. Regardless, no one is telling you to get rid of your current stove if that works well.

I was referring to the Ideal Steel. There will be plenty of new models, sizes and options if the new regs pass. The point is that this can be done with current tech. Regardless, no one is telling you to get rid of your current stove if that works well.

I have the CFM-FW240007. It is a little to small when the temperature drops below 35F in my 1320 square feet home. And I hate reloading every 4 hours that is why I need to upgrade to a 2cf stove if I can find the right stove at the right price for my needs.

I love the "cost more" lines. The EPA doesn't require all of the ritzy crap most people want on their stoves. My current EPA stove was cheaper than my old smoker was back in 1985 dollars. In fact adjusted for inflation it cost me a third of what the old one did.

I suspect the new Woodstock stove already meets the spec. The Lopi Cape Cod (freestander) too. No reason why that tech couldn't apply to an insert as well. So far no one is complaining about unusual maintenance requirements, but they are extolling the virtues of more heat.

I have to say it was darned impressive in DC at the decathlon to see 8 chimneys all with no indication of smoke and no smoke smell downwind. This is with current technology.
The latest Fireplace Xtraordinair Hybrid, with tubes and cat, as someone posted, might already meet the bill. Tubes and Cats de rigueur in future?

Here is the clause that BrotherBart is talking about : "To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof."

'Execution the foregoing Powers' ...... I don't think home heating was one of the foregoing powers.

I have the CFM-FW240007. It is a little to small when the temperature drops below 35F in my 1320 square feet home. And I hate reloading every 4 hours that is why I need to upgrade to a 2cf stove if I can find the right stove at the right price for my needs.
Just posted this on another thread but it fits you too. :) 85,000 btu's should keep you warm! >>>
''I just can't help it again! You live in Pennsylvania, land of cheap coal and there's a whole new breed of efficient, CLEAN, free standing and inserts that burn good ole Pa. Anthracite! Twice the btu's per hour out of the stove and coal has way more btu's per pound and the price is stable at about $220 a ton depending on where you live.
http://nepacrossroads.com/
http://readingstove.com/
http://www.leisurelinestoves.com/
http://www.keystoker.com
''

Status
Not open for further replies.