EPA should ban unseasoned wood burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
inevitabLEE said:
joecool85 said:
firebroad said:
Might be better to make sure wood sellers don't sell wet wood. Especially when they advertise it as "seasoned".

That's true. There should be a legal limit for moisture content and calling it "seasoned".
Ja, forget about personal responsibility on the homeowner/woodburners part.
I witnessed first hand how the government (USDA) handled the EAB and it was/is a joke.
If I had to season all the wood I sell for 2+ years I'd charge $600 cord. It wood take 3 times the handling I do now and 20 acres of ground.
What's next ,,,,,, regulated well done sushi !!!!!

No prob if they just advertise "1 year old", or "harvested early spring" or some such. There are too many dealers advertising "seasoned, ready to burn!" I know better now, but it irks me to see the ads.

firebroad said:
inevitabLEE said:
joecool85 said:
firebroad said:
Might be better to make sure wood sellers don't sell wet wood. Especially when they advertise it as "seasoned".

That's true. There should be a legal limit for moisture content and calling it "seasoned".
Ja, forget about personal responsibility on the homeowner/woodburners part.
I witnessed first hand how the government (USDA) handled the EAB and it was/is a joke.
If I had to season all the wood I sell for 2+ years I'd charge $600 cord. It wood take 3 times the handling I do now and 20 acres of ground.
What's next ,,,,,, regulated well done sushi !!!!!

No prob if they just advertise "1 year old", or "harvested early spring" or some such. There are too many dealers advertising "seasoned, ready to burn!" I know better now, but it irks me to see the ads.
A one year old log is a one year old log not firewood, they will tell you what you want to hear and then they dont respect you in the morning.

Screw em all. You can not tell anyone anything. I'm at the store a half hour ago and the guy in line in front of me says " I wish they would lift the burn ban". I promptly told him it expired at midnight. He said it was on his screen this morning. I told him if people burned truly seasoned wood we would not be dealing with a stinking burn ban. He looked puzzled and walked out. The guy behind the counter said "I have a fire place and all I burn is wood" I told him he needed an EPA certified wood stove or insert and he looked at me as if I was an alien with 3 heads.

Not sure what is worse, burning unseasoned wood or boneheaded, seasoned wood burners that think they know how to burn wood. The combo of the two is deadly.

BeGreen said:
Not sure what is worse, burning unseasoned wood or boneheaded, seasoned wood burners that think they know how to burn wood. The combo of the two is deadly.
You gettin in my stuff BG? :-/

Education is key. Better define what "seasoned" wood is and some sort of educational/ad campaign on how to properly dry/burn wood is all that is really needed. Some will still burn green wood but if the majority understand that there is a better, more efficient way to burn wood than alot of issues will take care of themselves. Just think, most of us here will not buy wood beacuse its usually wet but plenty of people that don't know any better do. If more knew to check the moisture of the wood before they buy and not accept wet wood. The sellers would have no choice but to sell properly dried wood.

Cant we just get Dennis to do an PSA on the importance of dry wood? LOL!! The areas that have a burn ban could have a ad that plays on tv/radio explaining why there is a burn ban and how to fix the situation.

RNLA said:
BeGreen said:

Nah, just came back from a trip up north in logging country where they know how to burn wood. I have never seen such a smoldering mess in my life.

BeGreen said:
RNLA said:
BeGreen said:

Nah, just came back from a trip up north in logging country where they know how to burn wood. I have never seen such a smoldering mess in my life.
LMAO, :lol: BG you got to be sayin Sedro or some left over outpost. I know what your sayin though, some old timers really do believe that dry from the shed is seasoned. My neighbor for one doesn't burn anymore, he said because of the smoke and too hard to fill the shed every year in the summer time. I told him you need stay one year or more ahead he said thats crazy. I do think a public education campaign is what could help major around here. Have you seen the PSCA website? Very little educational material and an out of date video from Canada about how to process fire wood. I would love to see them offer better material but I also think some people you just can't teach.

Wisconsin had some sort of a DNR website that was advising people to burn dry wood & it went on to say that storage for boilers was a good idea as it allowed cleaner burning. Wisconsin is progressive environment wise, I was still quite surprised that the local government was this up to speed, Randy

I still contend that IF the government was to give people the information they needed to C/S/S firewood in order to season properly there would still be a percentage of dumb *** people who don't get it. These individuals will ruin it for those of us who take responsibility for "good wood burning". :shut:

RNLA said:
I still contend that IF the government was to give people the information they needed to C/S/S firewood in order to season properly there would still be a percentage of dumb *** people who don't get it. These individuals will ruin it for those of us who take responsibility for "good wood burning". :shut:

There is a percentage of dumb**** that do it the wrong way for anything. If a higher % were burning the right way it would make a bigger impact. If a campaign was started now in 15 years the % of people burning the right way would be alot higher. Look at epa vs non-epa stoves, in another 10-15 or so years most of the smoke dragons will be out of there useful life and will be retired/replaced. Same with people burning incorrectly, if new folks were given the proper info eventually the "old-school" burners will be replaced by the "new-school" way of burning. If the proper info never gets to the masses then the cycle will never change.

BrotherBart said:
Since wood moisture meters are calibrated on dry basis what you think is 20 percent wood would be legal for a seller to call 33% wood.

You made me come out of pellet heaven just to give you a math lesson? 20% wet-basis = 25% dry-basis, not 33%. Bigga difference.

And now ol' BK tosses another bag of 5% MC wood fiber into the hopper. :cheese:

Ok BK, Now change that avitar to reflect your pellet stove. Not near as exciting as the open flame, box full, HOT fire. Maybe a good out put but not near the flame. :lol:

RNLA said:
Ok BK, Now change that avitar to reflect your pellet stove. Not near as exciting as the open flame, box full, HOT fire. Maybe a good out put but not near the flame. :lol:

Oh no, I ain't putting up a pic of this anemic looking burn. Sure keeps this place toasty, but I can't wait to move it down into the shop where it belongs and put a real stove up here.

I burn mostly wood that has been harvested anywhere from 60 to 100 years ago and has been drying out inside walls and under floors in peoples houses for that amount of time,and it still smokes in the initial burn stages although im sure its very dry.

Battenkiller said:
BrotherBart said:
Since wood moisture meters are calibrated on dry basis what you think is 20 percent wood would be legal for a seller to call 33% wood.

You made me come out of pellet heaven just to give you a math lesson? 20% wet-basis = 25% dry-basis, not 33%. Bigga difference.

And now ol' BK tosses another bag of 5% MC wood fiber into the hopper. :cheese:

Not according to the online calculator I used. It is on the Internet. It must be right.

Once the pellet cartel need the biomass bad enough we will see a push to get rid of wood stoves. My guess it won't be the poisonous wood smoke that will somehow be linked to a neighbor's alzheimers, but the invasive species argument. Pretty soon you'll need to be licensed to sell your firewood, and you won't be able to truck it otherwise you could spread the bugs. Unless of course, you sell it wholesale to a pellet mill.

As a tree co. I have loads and loads of wood chips that are currently totaly useless. I wish the biomass industry would get going in WA. I've been told in other areas they pay for a truck load of chips. I currently truck them to a pig farm...

Seattle Steam is now burning wood chips. I wonder who they buy from and whether there is a collection point for them?

PS: That smokey run wasn't Sedro Wooley, but close. It was on the highway between Darrington and Rockport. I saw a fair share of them in Concrete too.

BeGreen said:
Seattle Steam is now burning wood chips. I wonder who they buy from and whether there is a collection point for them?

PS: That smokey run wasn't Sedro Wooley, but close. It was on the highway between Darrington and Rockport. I saw a fair share of them in Concrete too.
:lol: OH BG, You are making me laugh, if I had coffee it would be all over my key board. On a more serious note; it would be awsome to have a place to use chips for something good. I am a small company and I make lots of chips, I can't imagine what the big boys do. So about this thread, could we come up with serious information to help educate wood burners? To really change the attitudes and habbits of the PNW wood burner?

Now who's being funny? I try to do it here, but 27000+ posts and it still hasn't worked for some diehards. Old habits are hard to break.

Back to the woodchips, is there a county or local compost facility that could ingest the chips? There was one locally, but he got shut down due to lack of proper drainage or something like that.

RNLA said:
...So about this thread, could we come up with serious information to help educate wood burners? To really change the attitudes and habbits of the PNW wood burner?

Just what percentage of PNW woodburners do you figure are following this thread? So far, it's you, BeGreen and me, as far as I can tell. :smirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.