EPA Smoke Dragon Study

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

otsegony

Dec 19, 2006
I found this interesting study of the emissions of old pre-EPA certified stoves here: http://www.epa.gov/ttnchie1/conference/ei16/session5/victor.pdf The only stove that I recognize is the Jotul 121, a big, beautiful Norwegian stove. The others all look like they were dragged out of a scrap pile or placed by the side of the road with a "free" sign on them. It is also interesting to note that the emissions of the Jotul are much lower than the others.

Be interesting to see them do the same thing with EPA certified stoves ten years after they were put in service and using "locally obtained white oak" like they did with the old stoves.

otsegony said:
I found this interesting study of the emissions of old pre-EPA certified stoves here: http://www.epa.gov/ttnchie1/conference/ei16/session5/victor.pdf The only stove that I recognize is the Jotul 121, a big, beautiful Norwegian stove. The others all look like they were dragged out of a scrap pile or placed by the side of the road with a "free" sign on them. It is also interesting to note that the emissions of the Jotul are much lower than the others.

There's an old Blaze King Princess in there too!

The Jotul 121 is the "Belle of the Ball" for sure!

I personally think they wasted their time with 118 CB, its too small.

Jotul should have made the 121 CB for the American market. The 121 takes a 24" log and that's handy.

yea the jotul was the cleanest stove.... and one of the least efficient

Redbear86 said:
yea the jotul was the cleanest stove.... and one of the least efficient

Yeah, I already have this study on my computer.

Look at the chimney flow rate figures for part of the answer. 24.9 cfm for the Elg compared to 10.8 cfm for the BK Princess. I see they used a 1/4" setting for the intake air on the Elg after 30 minutes burn time. I never ran a 121, but my 118 copy ran better with a 3/16" opening once it got going well. Higher intake velocity, more turbulence, better gas mixing, and less heat up the flue.

Also, the Elg has a surprisingly large 7" flue outlet compared to 5" on the 118. I'll bet it would run OK with a 6" flue, or at least with a pipe damper to hold back more of the heat. I had to use a pipe damper on my 118 because I ran it into an 25' tall 8"x8" tile-lined flue. Without the damper, we might have been warmer sleeping on the roof. :lol:

Gotta admit it's a pretty clean-burning design, though. There are many stoves that burn fairly cleanly with primary air only, relying on firebox shape, strategically placed baffles, and intake openings sized and placed to achieve excellent mixing right in the primary combustion zone. You see more of this type of designing in Europe than you do here, where we seem so obsessed with particulates that we have stoves that put out less smoke than somebody smoking a pack of cigarettes a day. If you consider all the smokers still in the country, better to target them and let us continue to burn the old stoves. %-P

Yea i'm surprised thy ran the schrader with no baffle or anything, they're comparable to a fisher but i put a baffle in mine, im glad mine doesn't have cast aluminum doors too, that seems kinda cheap, mine are way too heavy to be aluminum

The "Elg" is basically a turbulator.

Its got a secondary air path underneath the firebox.

This results in a venturi like effect. Thus the high CFM in the test results.

"I’ll bet it would run OK with a 6†flue, or at least with a pipe damper to hold back more of the heat." Yup! that's what i do.

http://www.patsnap.com/patents/view/EP0025424A1/dual.html

the patent shows the layout fairly well.

Status
Not open for further replies.