EPA Smoke Dragon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oldspark

It has been said here many time if you have smoke out the chimney you are not getting complete secondary burn, well lately I noticed the chimney is smoking and makes no difference how I set it or what kind of wood is in it, any thoughts, yes the wood is below 20% and the stove top was at 550 or so and flue at 400. Any thoughts suggestions or darts?

Just to add to that later in the burn cycle, still visual secondaries stove top still above 400 and flue about 250 it quits smoking, almost like there is more gases than it can handle until later in the burn, stove is new and baffle has never been out.

Could it just be steam emissions? I have read that if the 'smoke' dissipate after 10-15 ft. its more then likely steam and not 'smoke'. I dont think this is from the wood but maybe a chimney thats cooling. I think of it like a car's tail pipe on a cold morning, 'smoke' billowing out, then as soon as she warms up, nothing.
Does the 'smoke' dissipate?

Early in the burn there is often enough moisture in the exhaust, even with properly seasoned wood, to cause condensation when the exhaust hits the cooler air just after exiting at the chimney cap. This appears as white "smoke" that dissipates within a few feet of the chimney and does not sink back down to the ground and linger. Real creosote causing smoke will be grayish or black and will not dissipate as quickly as the steam will. Also, a properly functioning stove's exhaust will smell sort of sweet (at least that's the way my nose interprets it) and very little like the flavor of wood that you are burning, whereas real smoke tends to be more bitter and smell more like the flavor of wood you are burning.

Stump_Branch said:
Could it just be steam emissions? I have read that if the 'smoke' dissipate after 10-15 ft. its more then likely steam and not 'smoke'. I dont think this is from the wood but maybe a chimney thats cooling. I think of it like a car's tail pipe on a cold morning, 'smoke' billowing out, then as soon as she warms up, nothing.
Does the 'smoke' dissipate?
You could be correct, but it does it for a long time and it does dissipate fairly quickly, I should look closer next time it does it. Thanks

I often get about 2-3 minutes of smoke with a fresh load of wood. This is because I have let the stove cool down to about 300°F before reloading. As soon as the firebox gets hot, usually after a minute or two, strong secondary burning kicks in and no more smoke. FWIW, I get the same behavior with the non EPA Jotul, but it takes a little longer before it stops smoking. More like 5-10 minutes on the 602.

Well it did it for 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours so I hope it is just something do to the weather condition, too icy to climb up there now.

madison said:
oldspark said:
Any thoughts suggestions or darts?

Suggestions - Open the primary air.
Darts - Toss the thermometers
Did you not read how hot I had the stove, what do I need glowing metal.

As you sure this wasn't steam and water vapor? That's common when it is cool and dry outside. The difference being that it's white and dissipates quickly. Smoke is greyer and doesn't go away quickly.

White = steam
Blue/gray or black = poor burn.

oldspark said:
madison said:
oldspark said:

yes i did read how hot your thermometers said your stove AND stack could possibly be,

- Toss the thermometers and look at the fire

madison said:
oldspark said:
madison said:
oldspark said:

yes i did read how hot your thermometers said your stove AND stack could possibly be,

- Toss the thermometers and look at the fire
I have an IR gun to verify sensors and the fire was HOT, been burning for a while now and believe me I know when a fire is going well.

BeGreen said:
As you sure this wasn't steam and water vapor? That's common when it is cool and dry outside. The difference being that it's white and dissipates quickly. Smoke is greyer and doesn't go away quickly.
It is not dry today but I am thinking that is what it was, I'll be alright (maybe).

Funny, I had the same thing going on this weekend. Looked like smoke to me - shouldn't have been there!

tickbitty said:
Funny, I had the same thing going on this weekend. Looked like smoke to me - shouldn't have been there!
Next time I have it I'm going on the roof to get a look, that is when the ice is gone off of the shingles.

Status
Not open for further replies.