epa stove owners how many splits do you use in a day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jack_90125

Jan 9, 2011
NE Iowa
just curious on how much wood (splits) you go thru in a day? myself seems like 10 so far today temps in mid to high 20's. not that it really matters but curious to what others use.
thanks

I have to run my current stove rather hard to raise the temp in the house. So i average about 20-30 a day. On a non cold start day about 20-25

I've figured out that mine burns 1 per hour so 24 if I run it 24/7.

Its been fairly consistent. One will burn for an hour but if I stuff it with 4, I get 4 hours.

Way to many variables to count number of splits. Like size and density, to start. Ten oak splits have a lot more btus than ten pine splits. Unless those pine splits are three times the size of the oak splits.

i agree that question has way to many variables to be of much value and mine is pre epa anyway so i am out

Right. Probably a better measure for comparison would be weight. If we assume a reasonable moisture content of 20-25%, then all wood is capable of about the same number of BTUs per pound (around 8600 for dry) regardless of species.

it doesn't have to be technical,just how many splits. no grades or deductions of anything.we all have our ideas of what splits are.wood species is whatever is avail to you.
I know I put one too many on the last load as it is almost 88 in here now.have to open a window..............

Variables aside, I found the question fun and interesting which is why I answered.

Being new to all of this, I find that most questions asked here are beyond my level of experience so I enjoy being able to participate when I can. ;)

The answer that I consistently see here year after year is a wheelbarrow full.

The answer that I consistently see here year after year is a wheelbarrow full.
This is what scares me. I'm saving up cash for an nc30 to displace my smoke dragon, and after many fights have an ok from the wife to do so. Im burning a wheelbarrow load of wood a day now. If a grand later I still have an empty wheelbarrow every night. . . I may as well move the stove to the doghouse cause I'm gonna be there a loooong time!

Get a smaller wheelbarrow. ;lol

For the first season you just may burn as much as with the old stove getting used to it. I did. Then that five to six cords a year magically turned into three to three and a half a year for every year since then.

What size splits? What species of wood? What's the moisture content? What does the stove installation configuration look like? What are the characteristics of the living space you're heating? What's the insulation condition of the structure? Where is the stove located in the living space? What have you got for moving air around inside the living space? What temperature are you trying to maintain? How many hours/day? I could go on...but I won't. Buy it, put it in & burn it, and you'll figure it all out. Rick

I know this is a very complex and thoughtful issue and is why I chose splits as I still have 10 fingers and toes I can mark them off on during the day.

Depends on the size of the splits, species of wood and outdoor temps. Right now we are burning some monster log quarters that are 9" across. I can only fit two in with a medium split in between. It looks like today will be a 9 split day with some strong cold winds blowing steadily from the east.

I like the answer of 20-25 if hard wood. The one per hour is pretty good.

I use a blue box (regular sized one) full stacked on end. I'd say half a wheelbarrow full. I think it works out to 15-25 splits for the day depending on their sizes.

A better measure to me would be how much is used over the course of a season.

The difference in amount of splits per day when it's 40F out vs 20F for me is pretty big.

I burn almost 4 cord a season heating 98% with wood.

I got a triaxle load of logs and added about half a cord to it. Its not going to take me till spring at the rate I'm using it now. I'm hoping to have the new stove soon after christmas though and maybe make it through the season without hooking up the oil furnace.

I got a triaxle load of logs and added about half a cord to it. Its not going to take me till spring at the rate I'm using it now. I'm hoping to have the new stove soon after christmas though and maybe make it through the season without hooking up the oil furnace.
If you just split and stacked that wood this year keep your current stove till spring unless you can confirm it has the right moisture content. It will burn it a lot better than an EPA stove. My wood is 18%-24% and I can easily tell the difference between the two ends of the spectrum. EPAs are picky from what I've read and now experienced a little for myself.

my average size split is around 4 to 5 inches across, mostly red and white oak. it measures 18 to 25 percent on the mm. 1 split an hour seems about right to me. somewhere around 25 splits per day. thats with the air around 90to 95 percent closed.
when its really windy and cold out and i have to push the stove a little harder it could be 30 splits per day.

If you just split and stacked that wood this year keep your current stove till spring unless you can confirm it has the right moisture content. It will burn it a lot better than an EPA stove. My wood is 18%-24% and I can easily tell the difference between the two ends of the spectrum. EPAs are picky from what I've read and now experienced a little for myself.
I had it all split last year. Spread it out a couple layers thick on pallets through the summer. Stacked it in my wood room and have run a dehumidifier for over a month now. The highest reading I took lately on a fresh split face was 23%. Makes a huge difference from what I was burning last year!

Anyway, sorry for the derail. Lets get it back on track and hear from more epa stove owners.

Speaking for a close friend here. He is filling the firebox on his PE Summit at night, then using 3-4 splits in the morning it will last him all day unless its below 0*f outside. Most of the year a full wheelbarrow will last him almost 2 days.

Oh yeah Forgot to add my usage. I load the stove approx 4-5 times a day with 4-5 splits. Mixture of oak, ash, elm, and boxelder. Anywhere from 3-5" across at the widest point. So 20-25 splits with daytime temps in the 20s over night lows in the single digits to low teens. My splits are on the smaller side as I was trying to dry them out in 1 summer. So obviously that count could be lower by a few if they are larger.

Status
Not open for further replies.