EPA Tightening Regs...even on Pellet Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny_Fiv3

Feeling the Heat
Oct 12, 2014
North Rose, NY
Stolen link from Hearth Industry Section:

http://www2.epa.gov/residential-woo...ary-requirements-woodstoves-and-pellet-stoves

• Pellet stoves are similar in external appearance to woodstoves but burn a fuel made of ground, dried wood and other biomass wastes that are compressed to form pellets. Owners pour pellets into a hopper, which feeds the pellets automatically into the stove. Unlike woodstoves, most pellet stoves need electricity to operate. EPA estimates that about 88,000 pellet stoves will be sold this year.
    • Most pellet stoves were exempt from EPA’s NSPS for Residential Wood Heaters, which was issued in 1988. Under today’s final rule, all pellet stoves will have to meet the same emission limits as for woodstoves, in the same two-step process.

As much as I dislike any most regulation, I'd like to think that pellet stoves are reasonably clean, I wonder if there's been any testing done of any kind. 2.0 grams... I have no idea if that's a lot or not. It would be heartwarming as much as hearthwarming, to know we're "doing the right thing".

Since you can't burn crib wood in a pellet stove, I am curious as to what standard of pellet will be used for this testing.

Right, but you did that because you wanted to, not because you had to. Now, all manufacturers will have to have their stoves tested and certified. It's no longer a bragging right, it's a requirement.

Also a question I have is if it's classified as a Multi-Fuel device, will it just need to be certified with wood material pellets or with other fuels as well?

Grams of what?

Particulate matter.

For the record the last time, in 1988, the government "made it better" stoves started heating better on less wood and less crapping up of chimneys. Not what they were looking to do, but it happened.

Particulate matter.

For the record the last time, in 1988, the government "made it better" stoves started heating better on less wood and less crapping up of chimneys. Not what they were looking to do, but it happened.

Must have been about the time I quit burning railroad ties in the wood furnace for heat._g

Reactions: DneprDave
For the record the last time, in 1988, the government "made it better" stoves

Which was when I picked up a no-longer-qualifies "Embermaster" insert for next to nothing. And I probably overpaid for it.:confused: Hey, it was better than an open fireplace... barely.

Particulate matter.

Sort of like the government 'making it better' with ethanol.

What they all need are catalytic converters.
Just kidding....or am I.

IMHO a CAT is nothing more than a cheat for emissions and a properly designed stove (cord wood or pellet) has no need for one. A CAT is designed to burn gases at a lower temp than normal. So they help the environment for a smoldering fire but overall decrease the amount of available heat you pump in to your house.

IMHO a CAT is nothing more than a cheat for emissions and a properly designed stove (cord wood or pellet) has no need for one. A CAT is designed to burn gases at a lower temp than normal. So they help the environment for a smoldering fire but overall decrease the amount of available heat you pump in to your house.

Thats news to me. From my experience a palladium catalytic substrate produces heat, not reduces heat. A catalytic substrate in a wood fired appliance burns off particulates in the form of smoke, that produces heat that would be lost up the chimmney in the form or particulates (visible smoke).

Pellet stoves produce visible particulates on start up prior to obtaining gasification above the fuel bed. Of course that gasification depends on what condition the stove is in, if the CA ratio is correct and the venting is unobstructed.

IOW, a poorly maintained stove (of any brand or configuration) is a dirty stove and produces excess particulates.

Going to have to ban beans, broccoli and cabbage. All produce major amounts of hot gas in my house. Surprised California hasn't figured out how to funnel all the gas produced by milk cows as they say they are a major producer of methane. Just need to shut the windows on the Whitehouse as it is already got a dome to help trap all the hot air and gas emissions from all the BS. Like I said, HELP, as there is to much for it contain.

Just need to shut the windows on the Whitehouse as it is already got a dome to help trap all the hot air and gas emissions from all the BS.

LOL! That's great and a good thought about the design. Maybe the original forefathers knew things would get goofy and had much insight into the design. ;)

Reactions: johninwi
EPA Regulations as of May 2015 EPA Regulations breakdown by Jeff Luff of Alternative Heating and Supplies.

He is full of it on the "full on", no control, comment for wood stoves at the very least.

Reactions: woodmakesheat
EPA Regulations as of May 2015 EPA Regulations breakdown by Jeff Luff of Alternative Heating and Supplies.

Interesting, the guy starts off by stating the new regulations are generally "no big deal", then proceeds to make it seem like a big deal using typical "gubmint make me do stuff" language. The biggest issue appears to be with outdoor wood boilers.

any EPA certified pellet stove (all of our current models are) does get tested for emmissions just like the wood stoves are.

Yes, thanks Englander - my pellet stove already meets 2020 limits and my wood stove is close enough ;)

The most obvious exception is Harman who had avoided EPA certification for whatever reason, though it appears that they are busy in that regard as the P68 is now recently added to the list of approved stoves (was not on Nov, 2014 list, is now on Feb, 2015). http://www2.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2013-08/documents/certifiedwood.pdf

Last edited:
He is full of it on the "full on", no control, comment for wood stoves at the very least.

Thanks Obama. You gotta love it. No worry for me. I'm clean as the driven snow....

With pellets spiraling up, wonder with the EPA regs are on corn?

If you want to thank somebody thank the seven states that sued the EPA to force them to implement new regs. The EPA had been holding off for years.

Thanks Obama. You gotta love it. No worry for me. I'm clean as the driven snow....
With pellets spiraling up, wonder with the EPA regs are on corn?
These "new" regs where planned long before he took office and the last set of regs made better stoves very few have a valid argument against that. And i am sure that these new regs (after the bugs are worked out of the new stoves) will do the same.

I'm not sure of anything (when it comes to the government). What happened to common sense anyway? I don't need the government wiping my posterior, I can handle that myself.

There is way too much regulation in this country today (as evidenced by my 1200 page latest edition of the Federal Motor Carriers Rules and Regulations )manual that incidentially, updates every 3 months.

What we have in this country today is opressive and counterproductive regulation. Look around, it's easy to see.

Candidly, I get tired of it. By 'he', you must mean Obama. Hr's just the head man. Little head at that._g

Reactions: JustWood
Must be 7 liberal states Bart....

I see my state (Michigan) is totally ignoring the proposed mandates., but the we aren't mostly liberal (with the exception of maybe An Arbor and Grand Rapids.

Status
Not open for further replies.