EPA Wood Burning Add-on's vs. Englander Add-on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain

Jul 13, 2008
Central Ohio
I have a buddy at work who is looking to install a wood burning add on to his existing propane furnace. I've noticed there aren't very many that are EPA certified, and when you do find them, they're a lot more expensive. My question is: are they worth the extra cost? I know when I put my stove in, I wouldn't get anything but EPA.

He's been looking at the Summer's Heat 50-TRW35. It seems to get pretty good reviews and is priced very well, but was wondering if he would burn significantly less wood by going to an EPA model. Any other suggestions on a good model or about the Englander would be appreciated. He has a newer 1800 SF ranch home. Thanks a lot!

-Trent

I went from an older woodfurnace to our EPA certified model. The first year I used at least 1.5 cords less, and this year I will use at least 2 cords less and it was colder. I don't think the englanders are bad furnaces, but something like a Caddy is a higher line of furnace. With our furnace, it has a full secondary burn system, less wood more heat, EPA Certified. A large 4 speed direct drive blower, built in blower housing with filters, secondary heat exchanger, Automatic damper via wall thermostat, fully lined firebox, insulated cabinet, etc. With all that said, I do think a EPA model would burn less wood. How much less, I don't know. Theres a new furnace out by Napoleon the Hybrid 150 I believe, the PSG Caddy, and the Blaze King Apex. I do think the englanders aren't a bad furnace for the price, but after having an EPA furnace, I wouldn't go back. Ronoz on here removed his Englander furnace and upgraded to a Caddy. I think he was heating a 2200 square foot home. Last time I knew he was happy with his new furnace.

An EPA furnace "should" burn about 30% less wood than an el cheapo furnace. They can sometimes cost twice as much. Is it worth spending the extra for better quality, dealer support/warranty, less wood burned, cleaner chimney? For some folks, yes..which is why PSG sells tons of Caddys. For some folks, no, which is why we have Lowes, HD, Amazon, etc.

i live in northwestern pa i use around 5.5-6 cords of wood per heating season i have a englander ,i get easily 8 hour burns out of mine and while it doesnt have secondary heat it has air intake setup thats placed over the fire which i feel aids in burning off some smoke and gases ,often you can see this reaction if you get a good load hot enough,while i do think a EPA has alot of advantages im not sure if a 3.5 cubic feet firebox could put out same real world heat output in a large home,and i would have a hard time believing i could realistically cut my usage down by 30% to only 3.5 cords of wood in a winter ,there is only so much heat to be had in a given load of firewood no matter what appliance your using ,i havent found a person on these fire forums who has reduced their wood use by this factor with the same btu output by the switch that being said i imagine an epa unit would certainly burn cleaner but consider your wood is now more finnicky it must be very seasoned and dry t o ignite the secondarys .atleast thats the way it is for my shop epa certified stove.is it worth twice the price for one ,i guess in the end thats a decison only the consumer can make,i would love a caddy and havent ruled it out but for me and my needs i cant justify getting rid of my englander becuase it works so well for our needs ,its super easy to operate,not picky about settings or wood ,gets our place in upper 70's on the coldest january nights and the total payoff was the first winter i used it .until i get some more years on mine ill likely keep it

Status
Not open for further replies.