EPDM Smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rory

Jan 10, 2009
Central Me
We've been heating exclusively with the Tarm for 5 or 6 weeks now. I was nervous going into this, as we had to abandon wood heat from a cellar stove with a plenum over it about 15 years ago due to my wife developing a sensitivity towards the smoke. I hoped that with the Tarm down cellar in a room I can close if necessary, and no ducts leading upstairs, that it would be acceptable. So far so good on the woodsmoke, but she does notice the EPDM smell a lot, especially if I've gotten it especially hot, say 180 or so, which has only happened a few times. She's had some headaches and isn't blaming the smell, but it's the 2 ton elephant in the room.
Is this a "new smell" that will likely burn off over time, or is there anything that tends to mitigate it?

My liner has been up to 180 a couple of times,usually try to keep it at 170 max.I have never noticed any odors,Are you sure they are coming from the liner?

Status
Not open for further replies.