Epic Installation - I work behind this guy on a regular basis

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear about this guy all over the place. His name is Carl. He works for a few hearth shops in my area and does some freelance pellet stove cleaning/ repair. I have yet to find one of his installations that do not have to be redone, but this one takes the cake.

So 6 years ago he installed this stove. Exhaust is not high enough off the ground. Notice the black and charred remains of the siding and trim. Well, the leaves caught fire...because the exhaust is not high enough off the ground. Nor is the exhaust far enough away from the windows...but that is another story.

The homeowner's leaves and yard catches fire and it singes the house, burns the roof, breaks the glass etc...

So...they call Carl back and say. "what's up? this needs to be installed better."

The solution? He cut a hole into a trash can and exhausted into that. Homeowner says it's great, they keep the lid tight and empty the ashes once a year, but they cannot figure out why the glass on the stove is always turning black.

IMG_20101027_174024.jpg

IMG_20101027_173319.jpg

IMG_20101027_173332.jpg

And they ask us why we drink Lord. They ask us why we drink. !!!

Reactions: Defiant
i dont even think that is something RED GREEN would do but he would have used duck tape some how

imacman said:
You gotta be freakin kidding, right?? :bug: :ahhh:
You think I'm making this S*** up? Carl is a legend. He installs for (or did) Energy Solutions in Holliston, MA and the stove shop in Wayland, MA...I forget the name. Energy Unlimited.

Can you see why I'm so busy???

smwilliamson said:
......Carl is a legend.......Can you see why I'm so busy???

I think a "Thank You" Christmas card is in order, from you to Carl this year. ;-)

Scott,

You should locate him and give him a whole box of your business cards to hand out.

Ask him to provide them with his "installs".

Or ask him if he would send you over a list of what installs he has completed each week.
So you could follow up behind him and probably save a life.

---Nailer---

And the fire dept allows this why?

WOW

words can't describe this.

with my plastering business being a little on the slow side lately i'm thinking i might have to give this pellet stove service a go.heck ,if karl can get paid for leaving that behind i should survive just fine.holy krapp were those people totally clueless.hey scott ,pretty soon you'll have enough material to publish a book of funnies on this stuff

If I hadn't seen the picture Scott I would have thought you were making it up! At first I couldn't see the exhaust pipe and wondered about the blackened area.
The sad part is that sooner or later he is going to get somebody killed.

I wonder what the homeowner will think of Carl after seeing how you re-do the install and his stove works so well.

This is a serious safety issue.

I would call the fire marshall and report this guy to get him fired.

SmokeyTheBear said:
gbreda said:
And the fire dept allows this why?

You should never assume that the fire department (or town, whatever) evens knows about it.

Well I guess if the fire dept wasn't notified, neither was their homeowners insurance company. Lucky they still have a house and no one was hurt.

damn

This Carl guy is outta control and should find a different occupation, although from the looks of his work, and lack of common sense, what could he do?

Construction traffic control . . . naw . . .He would get "Stop" and "Slow" mixed up.

Elevator operator . . . . .nope . . . .He couldn't learn the route.

Anyone out there got any good ideas for what Carl could be retrained for??

I, also, would not have believed that install if pictures had not been included.

the old ranger said:
I, also, would not have believed that install if pictures had not been included.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

I have seen the old spark bucket before, But always thought some verticle pipe would have been a better/safer option!

No I am not carl! :p

Shouldn't the spark bucket have a relieve hole or holes?

the old ranger said:
This Carl guy is outta control and should find a different occupation, although from the looks of his work, and lack of common sense, what could he do?

Construction traffic control . . . naw . . .He would get "Stop" and "Slow" mixed up.

Elevator operator . . . . .nope . . . .He couldn't learn the route.

Anyone out there got any good ideas for what Carl could be retrained for??

Federal government employee. He would fit right in.

Genius> Put 10 gal H2O in can to absorb heat n' soot. Cover side of building with aluminum foil. Pull off in spring, duh. :)

(sorry the debil made me do that.)

What I find most amusing is that this is the SOLUTION the guy came up AFTER the house already caught fire once. One would think that after the house catches fire you find SOMEONE ELSE to create a solution and maybe even go a little over board with that solution. WHY they didn't just vent into the chimney which is 4 inches away from the stove is beyond me. Crazy stuff. Crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.