epoxy axe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

minesmoria

Dec 17, 2005
I need to get a new wood axe handle should i use epoxy on the axe head would it make any differnece?

After replacing many wood handles, I went to the yellow plastic handle that you epoxy on and it has lasted much, much longer than wood and more importantly, reduces bad vibes to my elbows.

Recommended.

I second sandors recomendation. I switched last year and its much more durable. Its worth the extra few dollars.

I've had good luck epoxying wooden handles to maul heads just like you suggested, dwarfcity. For some reason, I prefer a wooden handle to fiberglass, but people say the glass handles last a long time. I've only had two and broke both of them pretty quick.

To answer your question, yes, anything that holds the head securely to the handle will result in longer handle life. Goop up the wooden wedge (it might be metal) really good too, then trim and seal everything in with another coat of epoxy. Somebody around here suggested using the longer-curing epoxy, which tends to be less brittle. That's good advice.

Eric Johnson said:
I've had good luck epoxying wooden handles to maul heads just like you suggested, dwarfcity. For some reason, I prefer a wooden handle to fiberglass, but people say the glass handles last a long time. I've only had two and broke both of them pretty quick.

To answer your question, yes, anything that holds the head securely to the handle will result in longer handle life. Goop up the wooden wedge (it might be metal) really good too, then trim and seal everything in with another coat of epoxy. Somebody around here suggested using the longer-curing epoxy, which tends to be less brittle. That's good advice.

I suggested the long cure epoxy. Used the 5 minute stuff ONCE, and it was useless. (Brittle)

I used the 5 minute water-proof epoxy but since my cellar was cold like a meat locker I think the loooong cure time helped things

Status
Not open for further replies.