Epoxy rated 1200°c, but smells when fire gets hot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CodeBon

Jan 1, 2016
France
I put a wood stove in last year, into a big (8 foot) fireplace in the basement of an old French house. The very long chimney was professionally relined with new metal pipe, and the same guy installed the stove. On first use, the join between the stove and the chimney pipe smoked a lot, so on the advice of the stove store guy, I bought Henkel Rubson Special high temperature sealant and applied to the join inside & out. According to the Tube, it is rated to 1200°C. When I get a hot fire going, I get a really strong smell, which I thought was some smoke still leaking, but I wonder if it could be the sealant? It doesn't smell wood-smokey, it smells somewhat chemical'y. Anyone had this problem? Thanks!

The sealant may be off-gassing. It may not combust but that doesn't mean it won't give off fumes. Are you sure it is an epoxy? Do you have a link to the product?

There isn't a lot of info online. I've found a MDS sheet, but not much else. Label says Rubson Special Hautes Temperatures, Resiste a 1200°C.

Attachments

• 0001.1992716.0195.en.MSDS_UT_GB.22835197.0.GB.pdf1642460344.pdf
    163 KB · Views: 101
Is this the product?
Screen Shot 2016-01-01 at 11.45.45 PM.png
Or this:
http://www.amazon.fr/Rubson-Mastic-Hautes-Températures-Noir/dp/B0092MEEMM#productDetails

Was the product installed per directions and allowed to cure properly?

Last edited:
Is this the product?
View attachment 170686
Or this:
http://www.amazon.fr/Rubson-Mastic-Hautes-Températures-Noir/dp/B0092MEEMM#productDetails

Was the product installed per directions and allowed to cure properly?

It is the second product, the Rubson Mastic. I followed the directions and it was cured properly. The room (below ground, stone walls) can be damp (hence part of the motivation to install a wood stove), but I allowed the product to cure for longer than directed.

Thanks for feedback.

I've run an experiment for several days, keeping the fires quite small, to the point of having to relight and then only burning one small log at a time. Results seem to support the feedback about off-gassing ... when I keep the heat generated in the stove down, I don't get the acrid chemical odour, just usual woodsmoke smell when the door is opened. I'm disappointed in the sealant product, and wish the stove expert had not recommended it. I can't see any way to remove it at this point, as it adheres quite well. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.