1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Equine Pelletized Bedding

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by jdempsey, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Jefflitzy

Jefflitzy Member

Loc:
    The other province of Ontario.
    Does not say that you can not but I Tried a bag a of bedding and found they burnt faster and had more fly ash

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. glenc0322

glenc0322 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    long Island NY
    just did a little research and horse pellets are actually better screened

Horse Stall Pellets

• As more and more horse owners are turning to wood pellets, many manufacturers have begun producing specially designed horse stall pellets. These pellets are very similar to home heating pellets, but have a number of advantages. Horse stall pellets are made from only pine wood. Pine wood is a soft wood and is even more absorbent than other harder woods that may be in the heating pellets. Horse stall pellets are more carefully screened for contaminants and dust than ordinary pellets because they are used for horses. During the pelletizing stage, the wood in horse stall pellets is treated with high heat, which removes tars, oils, hydrocarbons and other potential allergens.
    Cost

• The only disadvantage of horse stall pellets in comparison with home heating pellets is the cost. As of 2010, home heating wood pellets cost $2 to $4 per 40-lb. bag. Horse stall pellets cost $5 to $10 per 40-lb. bag. Many horse owners will tell you that it is worth the cost because it ensures a healthy[​IMG]horse. Either type of wood pellet that you choose will provide significant advantages over wood shavings and straw.

Read more: Wood Burning Pellets vs. Horse Stall Pellets | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_6301204_wood-vs_-horse-stall-pellets.html#ixzz2IHd6M8Mv
  3. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

The TSC brand I burned, were.some of the hottest pellets I burned.

But, they.cost just over $250 a ton... :(

I try to stay under $200 a ton (haven't bought pellets in 2 years) When I find a deal, I pounce :cool:
  4. mr coffee

mr coffee Member

Loc:
    pennsyltuckey
    they show up "on sale" this month at 5$ a bag... their "normal" hardwood runs 4.38-4.50
  5. Bioburner

Bioburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West central Mn
    The horse bedding pellets sold at the local Fleet Farm are made from Aspen. About 4.15 a bag
  6. Arnold18

Arnold18 New Member

Loc:
    Maryland
    I've been looking for a good reason for a first post. I bought ten bags today from TSC, just as hot as the AWF softies I was using over the weekend and over a dollar a bag cheaper.
    DexterDay likes this.
  7. Bioburner

Bioburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West central Mn
    Usually more expensive for horse-hobby related in my area.