Equinox or Blaze king...output differences?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Manatarms said:
Wow! Thanks for all of the responses!

Rich L, I've read a few comments in the forums that the Equinox will not obtain extended burn times without the use of a pipe damper. My other concern with soapstone is that I might accidentally over fire it. Some on the forums have suggested that the EQ can’t crank out the same heat as a steel stove because of the 600 degrees max temp restriction. I’ve also read that when asking the EQ to crank out some serious heat the wood consumption is pretty high (especially without the pipe damper) in comparison to other stoves.

Obviously these comments are anecdotal, but it’s got me thinking. Nobody seems to make ANY negative comments about the BKK..other than the looks. I’ve also read that the BKK is easy to keep adjusted and will get only equally well just cruising or cranking.
Does anyone have anything negative to say about the BKK?

-mark

I don't use a pipe damper with my Eq. and get some good burn times........not 15 hours of fire but warm rock and there will be enough coals in there to relight with some small sticks. I am under the impression that you only want a pipe damper if your draft is exceptional.

You can expect 6 hours of real good heat then 2-4 hours of big coal bed slowly burning off and if left alone the rocks are still warm to the touch and throwing some heat for another 2 or so hours. Up to maybe mid November and from March on expect 2 feedings a day, mid winter requires 1 full load in morning, another at 5 in the afternoon and a good stuffing before bed at 11. On real cold days and nights, don't be afraid to turn up the heat, it's a big stove and 120k btu's/hour is an enormous amount of heat, I expect I have my 2500sf up to temp well before the stove is running at full output.

I'll bet the BKK will heat in mid winter with 2 loadings per day.........nice kitty.

The hearthstone is a looker, i'll say that!

We just bought some new chairs..........the Raymore and Flannigan copies were less than 1/4 the price of Stickley chairs, my wife didn't like the looks of the cheap copies but I would have had them. She was right and we love our new chairs, someday our kids will like them too! I can't wait to sit in our new rocker in front if the stove.

FireWalker said:
Manatarms said:

Rich L, I've read a few comments in the forums that the Equinox will not obtain extended burn times without the use of a pipe damper. My other concern with soapstone is that I might accidentally over fire it. Some on the forums have suggested that the EQ can’t crank out the same heat as a steel stove because of the 600 degrees max temp restriction. I’ve also read that when asking the EQ to crank out some serious heat the wood consumption is pretty high (especially without the pipe damper) in comparison to other stoves.

Obviously these comments are anecdotal, but it’s got me thinking. Nobody seems to make ANY negative comments about the BKK..other than the looks. I’ve also read that the BKK is easy to keep adjusted and will get only equally well just cruising or cranking.

-mark

I don't use a pipe damper with my Eq. and get some good burn times........not 15 hours of fire but warm rock and there will be enough coals in there to relight with some small sticks. I am under the impression that you only want a pipe damper if your draft is exceptional.

You can expect 6 hours of real good heat then 2-4 hours of big coal bed slowly burning off and if left alone the rocks are still warm to the touch and throwing some heat for another 2 or so hours. Up to maybe mid November and from March on expect 2 feedings a day, mid winter requires 1 full load in morning, another at 5 in the afternoon and a good stuffing before bed at 11. On real cold days and nights, don't be afraid to turn up the heat, it's a big stove and 120k btu's/hour is an enormous amount of heat, I expect I have my 2500sf up to temp well before the stove is running at full output.

I'll bet the BKK will heat in mid winter with 2 loadings per day.........nice kitty.

We just bought some new chairs..........the Raymore and Flannigan copies were less than 1/4 the price of Stickley chairs, my wife didn't like the looks of the cheap copies but I would have had them. She was right and we love our new chairs, someday our kids will like them too! I can't wait to sit in our new rocker in front if the stove.
Hey Firewalker,good to hear from you.Ya my Mansfield went from about 7 hrs. of heat to 12hrs.of heat once I put in that Pipe damper.I'm so anxious to hear what would happen with your stove with one installed that I'm almost willing to send you a damper.I also found that the direction that the damper is turned will increase the heat off the stove.I'm only recommending the damper if your draft is strong otherwise I have no clue as to what will happen.Take care.Oh yeah my Blaze king will get one and a half loadings per day.

Both stoves have the same sized firebox so would have to hold the same amount of BTU's. The main difference I see is the BK is much more efficient than the EQ which would actually give you more BTU's per load. The EQ may burn a little hotter and give most of it's BTU's at the beginning of the burn cycle. I don't see any reason why you couldn't turn up the BK when you need to and cut down the burn time to get more heat.

The Agony! Beauty or the Beast?

Manatarms said:
The Agony! Beauty or the Beast?
Manatarms stop playing games you know the wife is going to get what she wants.

It seems that the folks, including wives, that like soapstone don't like the BK line. It is as though they have figured out that a stove can be more than an awesome heater, that it can look good too.

She is really pushing hard for the EQ, HOWEVER...she did mention the BKK could live in our house if the difference in ease of use/performance was substantial enough to make it a more compelling choice for our lifestyle. In short, she likes the looks of the EQ, but she likes the claimed performance of the BKK. It seems like the BKK will be a bit easier to get long burn times....also I suspect it will heat up quicker than the EQ if called for.

Oh well, you can't always get what you want...

Thanks for all the help.

Wood Heat Stoves said:
both great stoves, i sell them both...
i have no doubt the hs equinox sounds like the best choice, bigger firebox equals more btus delivered to home.

The Equinox may be rated with higher btu's, but according to each respective web site, the BKK has a bigger firebox. The equinox will take longer logs though. What am I missing here?

Equinox
The Equinox is real easy to get along with.
I installed a pipe damper & it does slow wood comsumption.
Never a loss for coals & very controllable.
This is my 4'th woodstove & 1st soapstone.
Ill never go back to steel or cast iron.

Both the Blaze King & EQ will do the job, but for looks & the heat qualities of the soapstone,the EQ gets my vote.

Doug60,

I've got a few questions....How big a space are you heating? How many times a day do you load it? Do you find you wake up to a warm house in the morning...and if not how long does it takes to bring the house back up to heat?

Thanks for the input!

-Mark

52 x28 bi level
Stove in family room lower level.
Bedrooms over 2 car garage.
24 /7 burning
load it before bed (9 pm )
reload at (5:30 am )
throw some wood in 4:30pm
Never goes out , house always warm.

Thats when its coldest, (mid winter) North Jersey
You can skip cycles if temps arent cold enough.
Stove top temps between 400 / 550
Burned a good solid 4 cords last year. No oil at all for heat.

Bedrooms stay cool enough for sleeping comfort.

THanks Doug60...that's what I wanted to know!

-mark

Rich L said:
FireWalker said:
Manatarms said:

-mark

Hey Firewalker,good to hear from you.Ya my Mansfield went from about 7 hrs. of heat to 12hrs.of heat once I put in that Pipe damper.I'm so anxious to hear what would happen with your stove with one installed that I'm almost willing to send you a damper.I also found that the direction that the damper is turned will increase the heat off the stove.I'm only recommending the damper if your draft is strong otherwise I have no clue as to what will happen.Take care.Oh yeah my Blaze king will get one and a half loadings per day.

A pipe damper.........I've thought about it enough, is it easy to install? How high from the stove top?

O.K., I'm sold, send me one!

FireWalker said:
Rich L said:
FireWalker said:
Manatarms said:

-mark

A pipe damper.........I've thought about it enough, is it easy to install? How high from the stove top?

O.K., I'm sold, send me one!
Yo,PM me your address and I'll send it.I put mine about 14 " above the stovetop.

Status
Not open for further replies.