Equinox Warping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Detour

Oct 31, 2014
York Pa
Any one else having problems with there top grading in bottom of stove warping ? Im on my second one and I don't feel that I over fired the Second one. I have a thermometer on my 8" pipe about 6" from top of stove and have kept it under 500.

Hi Detour,
Welcome to the forum.
Are you talking about the grate in the bottom of the stove that lets ashes fall into an ash pan? If so, the fist question everyone will ask you is, "Are you opening the ash pan door to start your fires?" If you are, then that is the likely cause of the grate cracking. If you aren't, then you should check to make sure the ash pan door gasket is in place and is in good shape. Air coming in through the ash pan door by cracking it or a worn out or missing gasket causes a blast furnace effect that can not only damage the grate, but also damage the floor of the stove, which an expensive fix. Good Luck.

Reactions: Highbeam
Hi Detour,
Welcome to the forum.
Are you talking about the grate in the bottom of the stove that lets ashes fall into an ash pan? If so, the fist question everyone will ask you is, "Are you opening the ash pan door to start your fires?" If you are, then that is the likely cause of the grate cracking. If you aren't, then you should check to make sure the ash pan door gasket is in place and is in good shape. Air coming in through the ash pan door by cracking it or a worn out or missing gasket causes a blast furnace effect that can not only damage the grate, but also damage the floor of the stove, which an expensive fix. Good Luck.
I do not open the ash door to start a fire but I burn mine 24/7 and from time to time I open it long enough to pull out ash tray to empty. Is this ok to do or do i need to let stove go out every time i need to empty ash tray.

I don't wait for the a cold stove to empty my ash pan, rather I do it in the morning before I reload when there are just coals in the stove. A good tip someone gave me is to crack the main stove door when you do this and you will eliminate the blast furnace effect of air rushing in through the grate when you open the ash pan door.

I don't wait for the a cold stove to empty my ash pan, rather I do it in the morning before I reload when there are just coals in the stove. A good tip someone gave me is to crack the main stove door when you do this and you will eliminate the blast furnace effect of air rushing in through the grate when you open the ash pan door.
Ok Thanks ! If I buy another grate I will try that next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.