Equinox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doug60

Apr 30, 2008
north jersey
Its cold out between 0 & 10 last night & tonight.
I dont think I could get away with not having the flew damper.
My dealer said I wouldnt need it & Hearthstone does not recomend it.
I did it any way , & Im glad.

Just more corporate morons trying to push there weight around.
If your the corporate type dont even get me started .
My opinion, for what its worth is.
Corporate thinking is ruining this country.
Yes I am on a rant , more to follow.

With this recent cold snap, many people like you are finding out a damper is a good thing. It probably isn't needed as long as you have their recommended chimney height, but once over that look out.

Hey doug 60
I have an EQ on order. Is it working out OK? other than the dampener is there any other heads up I need to look for? Did yo get the blower attachment?
Thanks, Steve

Steve,
I did not get the blower.
The first 100 stoves had an air control issue. That was resolved so that should not be an issue.
Its does well on a 24/7 burn .I empty ashes every second day.
Its a big rock & hold the heat & coals a long time.

The flew damper makes a big difference . For 15 bucks It will save a lot of wood.
The colder it get the more you need it. Its -2 F this morning.
doug

Good to hear of another successful damper install... should have never let them talk me out of having one. Personally I doubt a corporate conspiracy...when ever you find a one size fits all type of solution its' usually government regulations...the same people that gave us E85.

If you put on the OAK would it work the same to dampen that as it would to dampen the flue? In my flue install I would have to move the stove to clean flu. I am going straight back into a flu and I need to go thru the stove to clean 4' of 8 " pipe. The dampner would add a huge problem.

blacktop37 said:
If you put on the OAK would it work the same to dampen that as it would to dampen the flue? In my flue install I would have to move the stove to clean flu. I am going straight back into a flu and I need to go thru the stove to clean 4' of 8 " pipe. The dampner would add a huge problem.

I would use a plate damper . You could use a sliding pipe to remove the damper to clean, there is no reason to move the stove.

wellbuilt home said:
blacktop37 said:

I would use a plate damper . You could use a sliding pipe to remove the damper to clean, there is no reason to move the stove.

Thanks Ill look into that ,good idea!

So, we have a new equinox, and didn't put a damper in it, per dealers recomendation. I've been using the air control to control the draft, but it's been really cold out (-35) and I am considering asking my husband to put a damper in the stack. Our stove is on the first floor, and the pipe goes up two floors, so it it pretty long. I'd just like to be able to capture all the heat possible. What do you guys think?

I'm getting very good draft control, it's lighting easily and holding most of the night with a load of dried spruce and some birch. Should we not mess with a good thing, or is it worth trying to capture more heat? Oh, and I love this stove. Our daughter named it stovezilla, and it's doing a really good job. The downstairs is very nice and warm but the surface temp of the stove rarely exceedes 450.

I've also found a great glass cleaner, Rutland Conditioning Glass Cleaner. We are not getting too much build up on the glass, and this makes short work of it. Best glass cleaner I've ever used, and it leaves a silicone coat behind it, so the next clean up is even easier. I found it at home depot.

tlingit -

35 below?? Yikes! Damper can be a good thing as long as you are burning clean. We just had an example recently (https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/34381/) of a new EQ gunking up fast after a damper was put in, but he was running it closed all the time - you will have to run it wide open every day for awhile to burn it out and keep it clean. If you are blacking up the glass, that's cause for concern. If it is running clean, no smoke from the chimney, etc. then that's a good thing. I'd expect you'd see more regular 550ish temps by reducing flow w/ the damper. You may want to repost here w/ more specifics on your chimney, including height, type, and location.

As for the impact of the damper and "messing up a good thing", you can run it wide open and it'll be as if it isn't there. But if you / hubby are planning to do your own pipe cleanings, that damper may be a bit of an obstruction to your efforts. You just would want to know that your brush gets past that damper plate, that's all...

Thanks all. Yes, it's been quite cold. I'm here in Alaska, and even we were complaining about it. I think before I do anything, I want to just live with the stove and see if perhaps by loading it more heavily I can get the temp up higher. Today it has warmed up to 0 os so, which feels nice after such a long cold snap. Now if only the volcano doesn't blow.

Just had an awful experience. One of those mini inversions in the stack where it was blowing cold air in a downdraft from the stack. It took a while to get the flue warmed up where it was drawing right again. That's only happened twice this winter, and now the house is all smoke smelling. What causes those events?

Status
Not open for further replies.