Equipment Tach. / Hour Meter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Catskill

Ever wonder how long it's been since you last changed the oil on your splitter, ATV, chipper or other piece of equipment? Interested in knowing what RPM it's turning? I am, in fact I'm a bit anal about all that sort of stuff. When I bought my splitter the other year I flipped through the manual and noted the the oil and hydraulic fluid change intervals they dictated but the equipment lacked a meter and there was no way of really knowing how much time I was logging on the equipment month to month, year to year. So I bought a Tiny Tach. Here are some pics from the installation (which was incredibility easy). The units have a 5 year battery life and can be had on Ebay for less than MSRP.

:
:

This is the base unit mounted deep in a corner visible during operation but unlikely to be hit by a falling split.
IMG_1783.jpg

:
:

Here's the cables running across the engine and the white ground running back and attaching to the casing screw
IMG_1785.png

:
:

Here's the positive attached to the spark plug wire
IMG_1784.png

Thats good one to have.When you loan it out you will know whats up!

So does it just get the signal from the plug wire (sensor in a round about way on the wire being wrapped)? The battery in the unit provides for itself then?

I would like to do this as well to my splitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.