equivalent length pellet vent pipe on 45

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to calculate the EVL of the pipe needed to put an older whitfield advantage 2 in my basement.

What is the equivalent length of pellet vent pipe run on a 45 degree angle? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

If vertical is .5 and horizontal is 1, is 45 degrees .75? Or is it .5 since it is somewhat vertical?

Second question, can I use the 6' of 3" pipe that came with the stove inside and transition to 4" after going through the concrete wall for the 12 feet I need outside.

There is only 1 place I can put it in my basement due to a wrap around porch, decks, pool, windows etc.

Thanks

Tech Tchr

One 45 is has an EVL of 3 and a 90 has an EVL of 5. As far as you second question I would use 4" all the way if your EVL exceeds 15.

One 45 is has an EVL of 3 and a 90 has an EVL of 5. As far as you second question I would use 4" all the way if your EVL exceeds 15.

He was referring to standard venting length not elbows ... I haven't seen reference to pipe installed at 45 angle just vertical or horizontal.

He was referring to standard venting length not elbows ... I haven't seen reference to pipe installed at 45 angle just vertical or horizontal.
Yep...my bad. After a re-read I see it.

I would err on the side of caution. Go with 1. Maybe . 75 but I wouldn't in push it. Of course my experience is composed of reading this site a lot and exactly one install.

You likely would have 3 - 90 elbows which has an EVL of 15 right there (up from the back of the stove, out to the thimble, up once outside). Would be better to go with 4" all the way.

Reactions: yrock87
I figured I would have to go 4" but it would be nice to save the $300+ by using the pipe I already have.

Hate to spend $1,000 on venting for a stove I got for less than $50!

Last April I found it on craigslist, 38 bags of green supremes for $80, he threw in the stove for $40!

Needed an auger, cleaned & painted & regasketed.

Here it is behind the Castile I rebuilt.

image.jpg

Recoup some of the money by putting it on craigslist or similar .... the pipe I mean not the stove:p

There is no reason why you can not go from 3" to 4" in any part of the venting.

I have half of mine in 3" and the other in 4".

There is no reason why you can not go from 3" to 4" in any part of the venting.

I have half of mine in 3" and the other in 4".

If his EVL exceeds 15, he needs to use a 4" pipe for the entire length.

If his EVL exceeds 15, he needs to use a 4" pipe for the entire length.

My EVL is over 15, but I could not use 4" from the stove to the outside, there is a support beam in the way, had just enough room for the 3" thimble, so the rest of the venting on the outside of the house is 4".

My EVL is over 15, but I could not use 4" from the stove to the outside, there is a support beam in the way, had just enough room for the 3" thimble, so the rest of the venting on the outside of the house is 4".
There is a difference sometimes between what will work and what is required. By not using 4" you can run into other issues.

I'm judging your's is a basement dweller? What kind of stove? Do you have a lot of ash collection in the 3" section? How much pipe do you have outside?

I'm judging your's is a basement dweller? What kind of stove? Do you have a lot of ash collection in the 3" section? How much pipe do you have outside?

No, stove is on the main floor, due to the way the house was build back in the late 20's they put in an extra support beam in the corners of the house.

I have hardly any ash collection in the 3" pipe or the cleanout T that's outside.

Attachments

• IMG_1392.JPG
    IMG_1392.JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 3,267
  • IMG_1393.JPG
    IMG_1393.JPG
    217.5 KB · Views: 358
I am trying to calculate the EVL of the pipe needed to put an older whitfield advantage 2 in my basement.

What is the equivalent length of pellet vent pipe run on a 45 degree angle? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

If vertical is .5 and horizontal is 1, is 45 degrees .75? Or is it .5 since it is somewhat vertical?

Second question, can I use the 6' of 3" pipe that came with the stove inside and transition to 4" after going through the concrete wall for the 12 feet I need outside.

There is only 1 place I can put it in my basement due to a wrap around porch, decks, pool, windows etc.

Thanks

Tech Tchr

ive always figured the EVL in a diagonal at .75 per foot. never found a referrence that gave me a "hard number" but i figured it made sense with the up angle , of course if its a "true" 45 degree up angle and im right its one thing but if the rise was more or lass than that it may not be accurate

The OP would have 3 - 90s versus your 45 and clean-out T. It is ultimately up to the OP to take the gamble or not - his time and money. What type of venting is the 3"? Venting doesn't always mate well unless you are consistent with the same brand/type all the way through.

Status
Not open for further replies.