Eradicating starlings from barn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
Hello all--

Starlings get into my barn through a gap at each end of the ridge cap. I have tried sealing this from the inside, and cannot see how they still get in, but they do still get in. I don't have a ladder anywhere near tall enough to get up to close up the outer part of the ridge cap.

Before someone suggests projectiles, already tried that with the air rifle, but they immediately became wise to ducking as soon as I open a door or window.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get them out and keep them out? They make a mess inside the barn, and, unlike swallows, have no redeeming qualities, especially because they harm other birds.

Thanks

Barn Owl ??

Maybe they are following the caps cavity to another inlet?

If they are the ONLY bird getting in, and you can adequately protect the bait from other barn inhabitants, perhaps some poisoned birdseed?

Gooserider

I had a similar problem with bats, & no ladder...
I had a problem with wasps, at the same time, & I was using some of that long-distance
bee-killer...
It cleared the bats out, too, in the middle of the day...
I don't think it harmed them, but I guess the smell was not to their liking...
Maybe try that?

Status
Not open for further replies.