Erratic fire/erractic pellet feed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

robrose77

Dec 2, 2010
Fox Island
just bought an old whitfield advantage pellet stove. fire seems to burn almost to nothing and then pellets come out and there are so much is burns with smoke then dies down and the feed may only drop 3-4 pellets or a bunch when it drops a bunch it burns with smoke when it drops a little it goes down to almost nothing...a few times i must intervine so it doesnt go out.....seems like the feed is inconsistent alot or hardly anything over all its probably an average but my fire either burns ineffienciently or burns right out....any help is appreciated...this is my first pellet stove
thanks
Robert

You will get more responses if you edit your thread title to include the make & model of the stove. Go to your control panel (top of page) and add that same info to your signature line too.

BTW, welcome to the forum :)

Where is Fox Island???

Are you burning the stove on the lowest setting?

Is the auger turning consistently? Sometimes they come loose and act flaky. The motor actually turns but the auger doesn't because of loose set screw and the next revolution the auger turns with the motor.

Can you time the auger and see if the timings match the stove manuals timing information?

Also you might want to check the auger flight for a pellet bridge somewhere near the top of the flight.

A wobbling auger can allow pellets to fall back in the fight one feed time and not the next couple.

Status
Not open for further replies.