ESP isssue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kcellwood

Nov 2, 2011
Central Maine
Fire fire of the season. Yes, I know only Sept. Stove starts with no issue. Fire builds and then the auger stops feeding. Once the fire gets low again the auger starts to feed and fire becomes large and it repeats.
Based on room temp and stove temp setting the stove should be running wide open until the room comes up to temp. Could this be the ESP going bad? I am thinking the ESP thinks it is hotter than it actaully is and stops feeding pellets until the flame dies down.

I always thought the stove just took an hour or so to settle.

Just not the same as it has run previous to this. Normally would come up to full burn and stay there until the room temp was achieved. I'll let it run for a bit to see what happens.

I do believe the stove goes by room temp and outside temp to determine pellet feed rate. Is it being run in auto mode or manual?

My stove has 5 settings numbered 1 -5. The feed rate of the auger is determined by what level I have it on. When running on thermostat, the stove will run at whatever setting I set it at until the room reaches the set point of the thermostat. It will then drop down to a very low state jut enough to keep a flame going. If the thermostat calls for heat, it will return to the level I set it at. If the thermostat doesn't call for heat for an hour, the stove will shut down completely and wait until heat is needed again.

How much of a variance in the flames? When mine is running full throttle the flames don't decrease much at all. Even though it's early to have a first fire, it's always a good way to make sure everything is in working order before you really need it.

Fire fire of the season. Yes, I know only Sept. Stove starts with no issue. Fire builds and then the auger stops feeding. Once the fire gets low again the auger starts to feed and fire becomes large and it repeats.
Based on room temp and stove temp setting the stove should be running wide open until the room comes up to temp. Could this be the ESP going bad? I am thinking the ESP thinks it is hotter than it actaully is and stops feeding pellets until the flame dies down.
I doubt it is an ESP issue. Maybe room sensor issue, like the probe being in the sunlight?

Status
Not open for further replies.