ESP probe or worse?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

forya

Feb 18, 2010
Bucks County Pa
I have two year old Harman Accentra insert. I had some work done on my chimney this summer by the same people that installed my Harman Accentra stove. When he finished, he checked my draft by running the stove without pellets on test mode for a good 10 minutes. At the end It threw a code. He was late and packing up and said that when you light it, you might have to plug and unplug it to clear the code. I should have made him do it before he left. Now I tried to light it for the first time this weekend ( i know a little late. I had back surgery this summer and couldn't lift the bags) and I am getting 3 blinks on the status light... ESP probe, the book and internet say. I called the dealer, and maybe they can come out in 2 weeks, or should I just order a esp probe and do it myself. I took the esp probe out already to clean it, so I can. Or could it be the board? As he was unhooking his diagnostic stuff, could he have fried the board?

forya said:
I have two year old Harman Accentra insert. I had some work done on my chimney this summer by the same people that installed my Harman Accentra stove. When he finished, he checked my draft by running the stove without pellets on test mode for a good 10 minutes. At the end It threw a code. He was late and packing up and said that when you light it, you might have to plug and unplug it to clear the code. I should have made him do it before he left. Now I tried to light it for the first time this weekend ( i know a little late. I had back surgery this summer and couldn't lift the bags) and I am getting 3 blinks on the status light... ESP probe, the book and internet say. I called the dealer, and maybe they can come out in 2 weeks, or should I just order a esp probe and do it myself. I took the esp probe out already to clean it, so I can. Or could it be the board? As he was unhooking his diagnostic stuff, could he have fried the board?

With the stove cold, off, and unplugged.

Check to see if the ESP is solidly connected and clean.

Do you know what was done to the chimney and did the work include cleaning the stove flue etc .... ?

The ESP probe is clean. I don't think there is a connection on the probe side of it, and it is solid on the control board side.
I had the work done over the summer after my big cleaning. I had a new cap put on and some flashing work done to my chimney.
I had it out and cleaned it during my cleaning and It worked after I was done. It didn't throw the code until he was finishing checking the draft. I believe he had something hooked into that port on the control board, or a gauge in it.

I found an ESP probe online for $52. I'm not sure if it would be a warranty issue

I doubt that unplugging the Harman DDM would cause a problem.

Have you done the reset he talked about?

What I was wondering about is if crud came down and disturbed or covered up the ESP.

Check your warranty papers, but it is cheaper to replace the ESP than the board (btw there are two different ESPs so you may have to change dip switch 5 on the controller).

I pulled it out and checked it, It looks good. The only reset he said to do was to plug and unplug it. I did that like 100 times, all while cursing his name...

ESP Probe This is the one I have (the red wired one) unless he hit the dip switch while he was in there?

I could order it and try, but if that isn't the problem, I am out $56 plus what ever the other repair is, and maybe out all of it if it is covered. The book says I have 2 years on the electronics, I am good as I got in in JAN of 2010

forya said:
I pulled it out and checked it, It looks good. The only reset he said to do was to plug and unplug it. I did that like 100 times, all while cursing his name...

ESP Probe This is the one I have (the red wired one) unless he hit the dip switch while he was in there?

I could order it and try, but if that isn't the problem, I am out $56 plus what ever the other repair is, and maybe out all of it if it is covered. The book says I have 2 years on the electronics, I am good as I got in in JAN of 2010

He shouldn't have opened the stove and played with the dip switches but you never know.

My tough choice then is to wait up to 2 weeks for the dealer, or buy the ESP probe and try myself. My DR cleared me to lift my 40lb bags, and I can't wait to turn this heat pump off. We got a 10 in of snow this weekend, it is hard to not burn the 5 tons of pellets i stocked up on.

forya said:
My tough choice then is to wait up to 2 weeks for the dealer, or buy the ESP probe and try myself. My DR cleared me to lift my 40lb bags, and I can't wait to turn this heat pump off. We got a 10 in of snow this weekend, it is hard to not burn the 5 tons of pellets i stocked up on.

Ask the dealer if they have the ESP and if so go get it and install it.

forya said:

I feel bad for you and anyone in your situation. You have a stove still in warranty and the dealer makes you wait two weeks. Two weeks in the middle of summer is one thing, but two weeks now is totally different. If it were me I would buy a new esp probe and run the stove until the dealer gets there. Before he get's there I would put the defective esp probe back in the stove. That way you now would have a spare for the future. That's what I would do anyway. Two weeks, that just isn't right IMO. Good Luck!

SmokeyTheBear said:
forya said:

Ask the dealer if they have the ESP and if so go get it and install it.

That's a good idea too!

I ordered the ESP probe online, but called the dealer out to install it, just in case, since it is still under warranty. Lucky I did. It was blinking 3 blinks, but the ESP probe wasn't the problem, it was the board. So it looks like I won't be sitting in front of a fire for a while, unless my heat pump catches fire, which it just might.

forya said:
I ordered the ESP probe online, but called the dealer out to install it, just in case, since it is still under warranty. Lucky I did. It was blinking 3 blinks, but the ESP probe wasn't the problem, it was the board. So it looks like I won't be sitting in front of a fire for a while, unless my heat pump catches fire, which it just might.

Forya,

At least this is great heat pump weather....temps in the 60's and low's in the 30's. It's very efficinet to heat with a heat pump with these type of temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.