Esp probe question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I only jumped in to clarify what bags said about the ESP overriding the feed rate setting.
I stand corrected. I overlooked the igniter in manual. My bad. But in auto ignite mode it will over ride. Right? The constant burn vs. room temp debate is slapped around much like the to OAK or not to OAK ping pong ball and the high dollar premium pellets. 72* is 72*. Is it not? I'll re-read the sticky again and my manual since I did fire the P68 this morning for the first time test run and to knock the chill off. Had a cool snap here but supposed to be back into the 70's again.

I know what works for me when and how so that's all I need to know. Play with your own damn knobs until you are good and cornfused :eek:;). I'm done with the spinning and flipping game. I roll with feed rate 3-4 and leave it on the temp I want. Works for me. I do reduce the feed rate lower if temps warrant that while in constant burn but I primarily use room temp manual ignite and a set temp. I'd rather have a warm stove on cruise control than a sprinter racing between lights. Just my preference.

Last edited:
room manual doesn't shut off and goes into a maint burn same as Constant or stove mode..correct?
Yup. The flame in my 68 can get very low while in maintenance burn. Sometimes just barely hovering above the top of the pellet pile. So this is normal.

I stand corrected. I overlooked the igniter in manual. My bad. But in auto ignite mode it will over ride. Right? The constant burn vs. room temp debate is slapped around much like the to OAK or not to OAK ping pong ball and the high dollar premium pellets. 72* is 72*. Is it not? I'll re-read the sticky again and my manual since I did fire the P68 this morning for the first time test run and to knock the chill off. Had a cool snap here but supposed to be back into the 70's again.

I know what works for me when and how so that's all I need to know. Play with your own damn knobs until you are good and cornfused :eek:;). I'm done with the spinning and flipping game. I roll with feed rate 3-4 and leave it on the temp I want. Works for me. I do reduce the feed rate lower if temps warrant that while in constant burn but I primarily use room temp manual ignite and a set temp. I'd rather have a warm stove on cruise control than a sprinter racing between lights. Just my preference.

Bags, I'm really not picking on you but I still don't think you understand feed rate yet. It doesn't matter what "mode" the stove is in. The feed rate, when set too low, cannot and is not overridden by the CB. The best way to know if your feed rate is set correctly is to perform the 1" ash lip test described in the sticky. In short, that's a wide open throttle on the stove, Stove Temp 7 (Newer stoves it's called Constant Burn) feed rate at 4 or so and let it rip, adjusting the feed rate if necessary every 10 minutes until the burned ash is within 1 inch of the top lip of the burnpot. If it spills over, tweak it down. If it's not within an inch tweak it up. Then after that, forget the knob exists!! Some will say that a feed rate adjustment is necessary with different quality pellets. Not so. The ESP will compensate for that. As long as you perform your initial test with good pellets you'll be all set. Hope this helps.

Thanks, I do usually keep it at 3-4 but there are times when I like just a small slow little fire going so I have at times set the feed rate to 1 just so the 68 idles along and keeps a small amount of heat going. I have a pretty good understanding of how my stove works and such but maybe not so great at explaining it.

You can pick on me all you want and I don't get bothered. I am always up for learning new stuff. The whole deal of tinkering with the knobs really just isn't necessary most of the time anyway because the Harmans do pretty much so manage themselves. I think this happens mostly during shoulder season where people are tinkering trying to find a sweet spot and that is when I run on auto at a selected temp or pipe the feed rate down, igniter manual, temp knob down and just maintain a constant burn that does not heat me out of the house.

Thanks, I do usually keep it at 3-4 but there are times when I like just a small slow little fire going so I have at times set the feed rate to 1 just so the 68 idles along and keeps a small amount of heat going. I have a pretty good understanding of how my stove works and such but maybe not so great at explaining it.

You can pick on me all you want and I don't get bothered. I am always up for learning new stuff. The whole deal of tinkering with the knobs really just isn't necessary most of the time anyway because the Harmans do pretty much so manage themselves. I think this happens mostly during shoulder season where people are tinkering trying to find a sweet spot and that is when I run on auto at a selected temp or pipe the feed rate down, igniter manual, temp knob down and just maiain a constant burn that does not heat me out of the house.

understand your reason for "idleing along" in a maint burn or what I like to call," simmering" but when I used feed rate 1 back in the newbee days, It built up lot of hard carbon that I had to scrape in the burnpot...could have been also due to crappy pellets but, as 007 said, I leave it alone.. 3.5 feed rate and let it simmer along in manual after shoulder season is done and the cold weather stays..takes less time to build back up to the high flames again. I want some kind of heat coming from the stove in maint burn and feed rate #1 doesn't cut it..

Tony, There are times here when 'simmering' and carbon build up works just fine and I like it. The carbon scrapes are easy and quick with the right tools also and I do it without shutting her down. It doesn't run like that a lot but there are times when I do and found it to work well here.

Not being a dick but I'd rather catch some flack from people here than deal with a cranky cold in her own mind witch inside my home. Just the way it is. I could care less about a little build up and care a whole lot about keeping a nice warm cup of shut the ***k up brewed for the heat queen.;) We get along well and ya gotta pick your battles.

Reactions: Tonyray
Tony, There are times here when 'simmering' and carbon build up works just fine and I like it. The carbon scrapes are easy and quick with the right tools also and I do it without shutting her down. It doesn't run like that a lot but there are times when I do and found it to work well here.

Not being a dick but I'd rather catch some flack from people here than deal with a cranky cold in her own mind witch inside my home. Just the way it is. I could care less about a little build up and care a whole lot about keeping a nice warm cup of shut the ***k up brewed for the heat queen.;) We get along well and ya gotta pick your battles.
Understand...
scraping is always part of burning pellets eventually unless you burn O'malleys which are hands down the longest pellets in the universe.
they left carbon speed bumps that we're hard as diamonds... unbelievable.. only pellets I ever had to use a hammer and chisel at times..
couldn't wait until the remaining bags were gone..

Status
Not open for further replies.