Esse 300 inset multi-fuel burner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtcedinburgh

Sep 19, 2006
Fife Riviera, Scotland
Hi everyone.

We had our living flame style gas fire serviced and it was basically condemned! Which is exactly the excuse I need to think about replacing it with a small inset wood burner.

What I don't know is what grade of liner we have with the living flame, and ideally I'd like to keep using the existing liner. Therefore I was intrigued to discover the Esse 300, which is only a 3kW output, but ideal for the room it would heat (18'x16'x11' lbh) and the key things are that it claims:

No flue pipe is required as it is designed to 'plug in' to a standard fireplace opening with no messy and expensive alteration.

Does this mean that it's going to be suitable to use with our existing liner - the way I read that, it is implying that we don't need a flue-pipe and therefore no liner - but am I mistaken?

Here's a link: Esse 300

Anyone know this model or type of model? Or should we look to push the boat out a little bit further and get an inset gas or larger inset multi-fuel?

Thanks,

John

Better read the specs again suitable for smokeless fuel so that eliminates wood and coal to me that only leaves gas

So how are things from over the pond. I think what this stove is is close to our ventless gas stoves from the specs if burning gas it does appear no liner adjustment need be made
If burning wood continue looking

Good looking stoves...the official stove of 007...License to Burn....

I like the one for the kitchen, set up like a cookstove but looks like has the latest technology..open glass..etc...will also take a 1/2 metre log..Be cooking a nice turkey with that one!!!

Hmmmm... from another part of the site:

Burning wood, solid fuel and peat, the 300 Inset is controllable and efficient, whilst its styling fits into most fireplace situations.

...so it's definitely not a gas stove...

It also says on the linked page, no flue, yet in the specs it has a 5" flue. Sounds like overeager marketing to me. At best it's really confusing.

There appear to be many variations of this model. One of which is flueless gas, one it electric, some are multifuel, etc. With the flush front, I wonder how much heat actually makes it into the room?

OK, so what would you recommend (budget: as low as possible, under £1000 to include any required rework to fireplace and chimney)...???

Let me clarify, I'm not putting the Esse down. Their website is confusing and the marketing seems a bit misleading. The flush face and no apparent convection vents on the stove don't appear to be the best design for getting heat out, but they may be hidden or it may not show well in the photo. But it may be a great stove.

I would just do a lot more research. It seems very unlikely that you will find a solid fuel appliance that will be able to use the existing gas flue, but I don't know what was installed for the living flame system, nor what options are available across the pond. There are more small stoves in Europe that we don't see here. It seems the best place to start would be at the local stoveshops. Plan on visiting several to start getting a concensus. Let us know what you find.

PS: If the flue did need replacement, would you consider sticking with a gas stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.