Estimate for tree removal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gapman789

Nov 5, 2010
Ohio
Looking for some insight on how much to charge for a tree removal.

This tree fell on a house during a storm and I have no idea as to the amount to charge to clear the tree, and haul all wood off the property. I'll be cutting and splitting the wood on site.
Of course, homeowners' insurance is covering the cost.

The tree is approx. 60' long and 24"-28" diameter at the base.

I'm in southwest Ohio if that matters.

Thanks

Attachments

• tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 259
  • tree1.jpg
    tree1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 266
  • tree2.jpg
    tree2.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 259
I would shot for 700.00 looking at the 20 hour range if that helps. Maybe less the pic's doesnt make it look like a 28 inch tree.

The base is in the 24-28" diameter range. The branches resting on the roof are 6".
Hell, my buddy in the pic wears a 44 jean, if that can be used to gauge the tree. lol.

Only $700-ish? I was thinking/hoping $1500 range.

It does not look like a difficult job at all. I thought Jay may have been high at $700! I'm sure many would grab at it for $400-$500 very quickly.

Backwoods Savage said:
It does not look like a difficult job at all. I thought Jay may have been high at $700! I'm sure many would grab at it for $400-$500 very quickly.

Yea I was shooting high. I think 20 man hours could easily turn into 10 if everything goes right.

gapman789 said:
The base is in the 24-28" diameter range. The branches resting on the roof are 6".
Hell, my buddy in the pic wears a 44 jean, if that can be used to gauge the tree. lol.

Only $700-ish? I was thinking/hoping $1500 range.

28 inch is not that big if you have a mid-range saw. I would not be afraid to shoot a little higher.

Keep in mind that professional tree services are frequently needed to drop standing trees safely. Even though you will need to get the upper portion off the roof, this tree is mostly on the ground reducing the cost somewhat. I would agree more with Savage's estimate. Looks like an easy job.. not a lot of branches too so shouldn't be too hard to brush out.

Thanks for the replies fellas.
Job is done. $1640 paid in full.
That included replacing the decorative concrete caps along the roof edge. About $70 in material and an hour of work for that.
(3) of us cut the tree yesterday in 24" logs. Had an MS 190 and 036 for saws. Went back this morning to load the wood, clean the yard well, blow off the roof and walks - generally cleaned the site.
Less than (5) hrs. with (3) men.

The house has concrete block walls, so there was no structural damage from the tree hitting the house. There was no real impact to the roof itself, just the concrete roof line.

gapman789 said:
Thanks for the replies fellas.
Job is done. $1640 paid in full.
That included replacing the decorative concrete caps along the roof edge. About $70 in material and an hour of work for that.
(3) of us cut the tree yesterday in 24" logs. Had an MS 190 and 036 for saws. Went back this morning to load the wood, clean the yard well, blow off the roof and walks - generally cleaned the site.
Less than (5) hrs. with (3) men.

The house has concrete block walls, so there was no structural damage from the tree hitting the house. There was no real impact to the roof itself, just the concrete roof line.

Thats 15 man hours ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.