Estimating the wood in a pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
I just finished splitting my 2010 wood and it is now in 3 big piles around my house, ready to get stacked this weekend. Since Geometry was many, many years ago.I'm wondering if there is a way to estimate how much wood is in a pile. For instance, if the base has a diameter of 10 feet and the pile is 5 feet tall, how many cords will that be. I know the slope of the pile will vary but I would guesstimate it at around 50 degrees.

Any math whizzes out there?

Take a picture....post it for us, and then we can guess.
Then, you can give a free round to the closest guesser.

Use the volume of a cone. 1/3 pi r^2 h
r= radius
h= height

so in this case v= 1/3 (3.14) (5 sqared) * 5 = 1/3 *3.14 *25 *5

Divide by 128 to find cord

That will prolly be a conservative estimate- most piles are rounded a bit

W/o crunching numbers or seeing a picture, it sounds like it's about 1.25 to 1.5 cords.

Wet1 said:
W/o crunching numbers or seeing a picture, it sounds like it's about 1.25 to 1.5 cords.

sounds about right i just stacked today with about those same dimensions and got around 1.5 cords

Status
Not open for further replies.