estimating tree to cord net yield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
I've been using wood for heat for years, and have been cutting my own, to varying degrees, for years.

Between the fact that my stacking situations have rarely been of 4x4x8 increments, or anything readily translatable to that, and the fact that I have used different amounts of wood with different appliances over the years, I have never really gained an instinctive sense like some people apparently have, to estimate how much wood, cordage-wise, one can expect from a given tree or batch of trees.

Is there such a thing as a rule of thumb by which one can take the diameter of the tree at stump or DBH, and the height of the tree, and get a rough sense of how much "net" wood, cord-wise, one will likely get?

Thanks [since I've sworn off of oil, I really want to be sure to lay in plenty of wood for next winter, and preferably even see if I can gain ground towards the following season, so that it'll all be drier when burned]

Thanks

Blah Ho Vick said:
Page 6. The figures in the tables are for stem cruising and don't figure in top wood. Some larger diameter trees you can figure on almost doubling cord volume from the top.

thanks Lee- but did you mean to include a link that did not end up cooperating- I am not following what page 6 is out of.

Thanks

Blah Ho Vick said:
Page 6. The figures in the tables are for stem cruising and don't figure in top wood. Some larger diameter trees you can figure on almost doubling cord volume from the top.

Here it is.
http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000276_Rep298.pdf
I don't care what anyone says about you Lee, your OK in my book. I never saw anything like the file above and saved it and will study later.

Thanks
Shipper

Thanks, folks!

Shipper50 said:
I don't care what anyone says about you Lee.....

Neither does he. :lol: :lol:

Man I crack myself up.

Lee, what an excellent resource. You gain 35 Internet Points.

Really interesting that going from 18" to 22" gives you almost 50% more wood. I guess that geometry class in high school did have purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.