ESW 55-SHPEP Thermostat Operation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoerBoelAmari

Oct 24, 2012
Trying to find some information on where the two wires go from the J18 terminal on the pellet stove to the thermostat. Neither my thermostat nor ESW manual have any information. The thermostat I purchased is a millivolt range Honeywell that says it is compatible with pellet stoves. Model number RTH2300B

Do what ever you want I read the t-stat manual for the unit you bought in heat mode it is R and W.

Where were you able to find that info. My install manual for the t stat says nothing about wire locations. Just to label existing wires so you don't mess up the order.

Yes, but there is a picture in the destructions that tells what the connections are used for.

G(reen) is normally for a ventilator (fan) and normally gets routed to the Rc (red cooling) via a transformer.

Rc (red cooling is frequently jumped to Rh( red heating) or Red which is what is available on your unit. This allows the standard colors to be used for the most common of thermostat usage (namely heating) and for the insulation colors on the wires to be kept the same as the label on the t-stat terminals and make sense.

What is actually what in the jumper world on any particular t-stat is normally handled by the manual.

It could be that G(reen) and R(ed) are internally jumper-ed on your unit. But it is your t-stat manual that rules. Not what another t-stat manual has.

Some of the t-stats can handle multi stage heating and cooling systems and can get quite complex in their setup.

However I have yet to see the primary heating mode not use R(ed in one form or another) and W(hite) for heat only purposes.

Give the G and W a try it may as I outlined above work. I won't hurt anything to try it either way.

It seems to be working with G and W. I have the stove set to high/low. Maintained my first level at 75 all night. I would notice differences in the flame as it went from high/low. The "heat on" would show when the flame height and blower speeds increased.

I hear that. I'll keep an eye on it to see how things go.

Smokey is correct.....a millivolt stat is supposed to use R & W on the stat connections. If there is a jumper in the stat, that can be removed since it's only going to be used for heat anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.