ethaneol

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Question:

Are you Midwest and Plains states wood burners intentionally using E85 in your saws?

Just asking. Thanks.

mranum said:
Echo does indeed want you to run a minimum of 89 octane. Unless it just won't perform I wouldn't change a setting until you put at least 1 or 2 tanks of gas through it. The directions for adjusting are listed in the manual if it is needed. The CS-400 is not a powerful saw, by that I mean you can stall it pretty easy if you try and horse it through the log, especially if its new and not broke in. Just let it cut at its own rate while holding a decent RPM. I say this not to offend anyone on their form of operation but rather because I know people that have used saws for years and still don't actually know how to use one properly.

Husqvarna recomends 89 octane in their equiptment. I run 91 from Stewarts (the only place in our area WITHOUT ethanol) and noticed a difference in my saw, boat and even my riding mower.

Valhalla said:
Question:

Are you Midwest and Plains states wood burners intentionally using E85 in your saws?

Just asking. Thanks.

No - I save the E85 for my car and truck. E10 is as far as I go with the saw. I don't think E85 and current 2-stroke engine oils are a good match. There is a company that claims to have released an ethanol compatible 2-stroke oil: http://www.getg.com/articles/article_detail.php?ArticleID=55

But I'm waiting to hear some feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.