ethanol burner and firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

optout2015

May 11, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Hello Everyone,

First-time home owner/poster here! I have purchased an ethanol burner to be recessed into a wall in my living room EB3600 - Ethanol Fireplace Burner Insert. The manufacture sells a firebox for the burner, but at $4,500 it is too rich for my blood Ignis Ethanol Fireplace Insert FB3600 Single Sided. I am building my own custom firebox, with the manufactures specs, but have a question regarding the heat given off by the ethanol burner itself. Unlike a traditional gas or wood burning fireplace, the ethanol burner does not produce a lot of heat. It is more for looks than anything else. It is however fire and as a former firefighter myself, I’d like to make sure I don’t burn my new house down.

My question - If I build a metal firebox, could I wrap it in Durock to act as a barrier to heat given off by the burner? I’m hoping the Durock would prevent any radiant heat from transferring from the firebox to exposed studs/insulation behind the drywall.

FYI - I will not be building a hearth. Exterior of fireplace chase will be wrapped in reclaimed wood.

Thank you very much for you recommendations.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    302.7 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Follow their instructions and you should be fine they have all of the clearances listed in the manual

I would definitely be scouring the manual for the required specs and following them to a "T". On the question about the Durock wrap - I think you would be better off with roxul insulation as it is an actual "insulation" compared to the Durock being a "non-combustible" with a fairly low R value.

But as always - the manual trumps "suggestions".

Status
Not open for further replies.