Ethanol Free Gas Station Opened up by me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
I finally now have a gas station supplying ethanol free gas in Gorham NH. Saves me driving over to Woodsville. First station I have seen which is completely unattended. Credit card only. The area gets a lot of ATV traffic in the summer and fall and snowmachines in the winter. Unfortunately there are no ATV trails or snowmachine trails to the station.

Reactions: bioman
I finally now have a gas station supplying ethanol free gas in Gorham NH. Saves me driving over to Woodsville. First station I have seen which is completely unattended. Credit card only. The area gets a lot of ATV traffic in the summer and fall and snowmachines in the winter. Unfortunately there are no ATV trails or snowmachine trails to the station.

A local chain by us started this a few months ago, priced at premium around 20 cents over regular. Nice to have the choice.

bob

Well worth it. Use it in everything but my daily drivers. Makes a big difference.

Reactions: Ash
I use ethanol-free for all my small engines. Especially since most of my stuff is so old it's pre-ethanol. I get it in Freedom, NH. Beware - the ethanol lobby reps will show up in this thread soon...

Reactions: TreePointer
Beware - the ethanol lobby reps will show up in this thread soon...
This ^^^^

We all know that nobody could possibly ever see any benefit in this garbage so anybody that says anything good about it MUST be an industry rep.

Thanks to the Canadians for shipping it down to us along the border. They don't blend with Ethanol. Unfortunately the prior octane additive used in the US MBTE was fairly nasty stuff if it spilled. It would rapidly spread inot the ground water and travel great distances. I don't know and haven't asked what the non ethanol fuel uses.

Real purists don't even accept ethanol free gas and prefer straight run gas. Normal pump gas is usually catalytically cracked out of a heavier distillate, eventually cracked gas wants to go back to where it came so it does eventually break down and form gum. Straight run gas is right off the distillation tower. I think that's what av gas is based on. It will last for years in drums. and I think it keeps its octane number while cracked gas slowly loses it. Then again the refiners are incredibly complex so it may not be so simple.

Reactions: 7acres
Thanks to the Canadians for shipping it down to us along the border. They don't blend with Ethanol.
Here in Ontario most gas sold is ethanol blend.
PS I just checked and the law (2007) says "Subject to the other provisions of this Regulation, every fuel supplier shall ensure that gasoline that it places in the Ontario market in a compliance year contains, on average, no less than 5 per cent ethanol by volume."

Last edited:
Did you check Bristol? Lotta boats on Newfound, somebody might sell it.

Woodsville info

D&P Cnv Store - UNBRANDED61 Smith St, Woodsville NH
603-747-2673
Ethanol-free octane ratings: 91
GPS coordinates: N 44.14457 W 72.03217

Its right on 302 across from Ocean State Job Lot

This ^^^^

We all know that nobody could possibly ever see any benefit in this garbage so anybody that says anything good about it MUST be an industry rep.

Not necessarily, but anybody who thinks the benefits (other than initial cost,) of ethanol outweigh ethanol free for the applications we're discussing doesn't work on enough engines or see the big problems it causes.

Reactions: Grateful11
Stewarts, right? I think their premium is now ethanol free.

On many of their stores. Not all of them though. Same with, can't think of the name right now... Big yellow and red sign. Has the place by Lebanon valley.

Not necessarily, but anybody who thinks the benefits (other than initial cost,) of ethanol outweigh ethanol free for the applications we're discussing doesn't work on enough engines or see the big problems it causes.
I highly doubt more than a few people here even understand the differences and benefits of either fuel outside of what they've heard from a friend of a friend or what they "think" they know based upon working on small engines...

I won't side-track this thread anymore. I'll just say there are a LOT of ignorant people that think they know a lot about fuels...

Very true, but quite a few people with boats have had water issues due to it. I have with large and small engined boats. The small was the worst as it left me rowing back down a lake and deer flies found us.

The local chainsaw shop has been unable to handle the service work related to ethanol. A lot of small engine equipment is getting thrown away after a few years due to the damage to the carbs. Classic cars owners are having serious issues, they are losing tanks, fuel hoses, fuel pumps and carbs. Few if any of the available rebuild kits are of ethanol resistant materials so they just have to plan to rebuild carbs frequently. Snowmachine and ATV owners took it real hard for awhile but the new rigs seem to be more tolerant.

Of course, this supplies more business to the retail economy, I expect Lowes and HD are selling a lot of new equipment and Startron and Stabil probably are doing quite well since ethanol started getting blended in. It just encourages the throw away economy for what is in essence just one big backdoor farm subsidy.

Reactions: Wildo and HSBull
A friend of a friend told me it melted the fuel line out of his chainsaw. He gave me said chainsaw and the tank has a strange jelly-like substance and no fuel line in the tank. I don't think ethanol is good for anything that you want to run.

I've said it before and I'll say it again . . . been running ethanol fuel in my sled for several years now with no issues other than making sure I use a fuel stabilizer in the Spring before summerizing the sled (i.e. Star Tron or similar stabilizer) and sleds are a heckuva lot more expensive than a chainsaw (which I also have had no issue with.) That said, the older equipment with older gaskets/hoses is known to have issues with ethanol . . .

Final thought . . . no personal issues or stories involving friends or family with ethanol . . . but if given the choice I would prefer "straight gas" if cost was the same or close . . . but that doesn't seem likely to happen with the only sources of straight gas being very expensive marina or aviation gas.

I've said it before and I'll say it again . . . been running ethanol fuel in my sled for several years now with no issues other than making sure I use a fuel stabilizer in the Spring before summerizing the sled (i.e. Star Tron or similar stabilizer) and sleds are a heckuva lot more expensive than a chainsaw (which I also have had no issue with.) That said, the older equipment with older gaskets/hoses is known to have issues with ethanol . . .

Final thought . . . no personal issues or stories involving friends or family with ethanol . . . but if given the choice I would prefer "straight gas" if cost was the same or close . . . but that doesn't seem likely to happen with the only sources of straight gas being very expensive marina or aviation gas.

Sleds seem to handle it pretty well imo, better fuel system components from the factory. Little motors, not so much. We're lucky here, we have ethanol premium available for about a .25 more all around us. I've seen first hand too many problems, mostly carb and fuel line related.

Good gas makes considerably more power and gets better fuel economy than ethanol, benefits you can feel and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.