Etiquette

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RORY12553

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2011
Southern NY
If you go to someones house to cut up trees that have fallen what is the proper etiquette? Should I be concerned about the saw dust etc from the chainsaw? Should I attempt to split some while i'm there for easier transport?

Someone who cleans up & picks up after themself would be more likely to get invited back. If you were in the homeowners' shoes, what would you like done?

Gark said:
If you were in the homeowners' shoes, what would you like done?
Grind out the stump and patch up the sod.

Likes and wants are not always in touch with reality. It's more about managing expectations. How much is the firewood worth versus how much would a tree removal service charge?

The last two trees I took down in my own yard, I cleaned up the mess, took care of the stumps, bucked, split, and loaded it all onto a trailer for the neighbor to take away. I was glad to have the neighbor take it. I did not expect the neighbor to do all the work but she did come over and helped load some of it onto the trailer.

I try to split where I am. Saw dust and brush No Charge! :cheese: (it stays)

I'm sure for a tree of this size a tree service would charge at least 3-400 to take away. I'm not looking to take the brush and will gladly rake up the sawdust but not bringing a rack with me. If i were the home owner i would expect the bulk of it to go away meaning the useable firewood not the brush. This tree has been down for a while and i'm sure the lawn under and around the tree isn't looking so hot.

I will do the best I can to get it clean but not going crazy. Will discuss before I start that i'm not taking the brush and will do my best to keep things as clean as possible.

RORY12553 said:
I'm sure for a tree of this size a tree service would charge at least 3-400 to take away. I'm not looking to take the brush and will gladly rake up the sawdust but not bringing a rack with me. If i were the home owner i would expect the bulk of it to go away meaning the useable firewood not the brush. This tree has been down for a while and i'm sure the lawn under and around the tree isn't looking so hot.

I will do the best I can to get it clean but not going crazy. Will discuss before I start that i'm not taking the brush and will do my best to keep things as clean as possible.

Saw dust really not an issue on cleaning up....Just not that big of a pile to worry about even on the Monsters!

Attachments

• 10517_103445316332150_100000000464379_94970_6245138_n.jpg
    10517_103445316332150_100000000464379_94970_6245138_n.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 866
RORY12553 said:
If you go to someones house to cut up trees that have fallen what is the proper etiquette? Should I be concerned about the saw dust etc from the chainsaw? Should I attempt to split some while i'm there for easier transport?

Don't worry about the wood chips. They make good fertilizer right where they land.

Easier for who to transport?

Bigg_Redd said:
RORY12553 said:

Don't worry about the wood chips. They make good fertilizer right where they land.

Easier for who to transport?

Me to transport. Want to just bring the wood home stack it already split rather than leaving it some where and then having to split and stack.

I wondered the same thing. I figured it depends on where the tree is (front yard or "out back").

Last scrounge I came across was after a tree service limbed several big trees in the front yard of a lady in town just a few blocks away. I made sure I picked up not just the limbs but any branches and pieces of bark there was. Last thing I wanted was the lady or the tree service not wanting me to scrounge from them again.

i always make the homeowner aware that if im cutting it up and taking it out of there for free im doing them a big favor as a tree service would charge them to do that. ill be clean and neat but im not hauling brush or saw dust anywhere. and then should help me load it into the truck lol. some people act like there doing you a huge favor which in a way they are. but really your doing them a favor.

schlot said:
I wondered the same thing. I figured it depends on where the tree is (front yard or "out back").

Last scrounge I came across was after a tree service limbed several big trees in the front yard of a lady in town just a few blocks away. I made sure I picked up not just the limbs but any branches and pieces of bark there was. Last thing I wanted was the lady or the tree service not wanting me to scrounge from them again.

I have no problem putting the brush and bark etc into a pile but i'm not taking it with me WTH am i going to do with it. I'm going to take the bulk of the useable tree for firewood and assist the guy in getting rid of everything else. Like the guy said above I am saving this guy money by taking away the tree and i'm sure if he used a fireplace he would be cutting up the tree himself.

Tell the homeowner exactly what you are willing to do so there are no surprises. I do not remove brush, but I would be willing to at least leave thing neat and make a nice pile for them as they don't want it very far from where the tree is. You are doing them a favor. You are saving them money by hauling away what ever you take.

I took down a dead ash tree for an older couple from my church last fall. I took all the brush and raked the yard but would not make a habit of it. Just felt like the right thing to do in the situation.

The last two scrounges at my friend's house, I picked up all the branches and twigs and moved them to the burn pile. The sawdust I left alone, it will decompose and be fine. I left it cleaner than I arrived, since one of the trees was a blow down. I even cut the stumps to as close to ground level as possible, so he can mow later.

Thanks for the replies guys greatly appreciate it. Overall I want this guy to call me back or give my number to someone else so I will be as neat and up front as i can be. Think the guy knows i'm saving him money so in the end it's a win win.

I rarely scrounge, but the few times I have . . . I checked with the home owners to see what they expected and in both cases they said they would take care of the branches and any mess . . . all I had to do was take the wood.

RORY12553 said:

Well first off I would ask permission to take the wood... :lol:

firebroad said:
RORY12553 said:

Well first off I would ask permission to take the wood... :lol:

Yeah, don't forget that one. ;-P

I don't have to scrounge anymore but when I did the clean up was situational. If there are able body kids that live in the house or the owners are capable of brush removal I just cut the wood.
The sweet little lady down the street got the full service of wood removed then the brush was hauled away and the yard was raked.
Next day when I got home from work there was a 12 pack waiting on my door step. I miss her.

Last time I scrounged, the homeowner's wife started bugging me about how clean she wanted everything when I was done--I ended up getting mad and throwing all the brush into their inground pool.

Just kidding; what I do depends on the homeowner's proficiency and the size of the tree. Last two I took, the homeowner owned a trailer, so I made a neat pile of brush for him. Time before that was an older couple, so I cleaned up for them. I got two meatballs in return.

S

About 5 years ago I connected with a guy near me who had a few monster Oaks cut at his house by his landscaper who did a pretty messy job. He was from the city and disabled and was happy to have me take what I could. There was so much wood that I made 4 or 5 visits over a few months as my schedule allowed. He started to ask other small favors when I was there. It seems he had been burned by more than one unscrupulous contractors who had left projects unfinished and debris around his property. I took care of a couple things, but I started to feel a little uncomfortable and stopped going there. This was before I burning as seriously as I am now so I didn't move as fast as I would now. If I'd collected every thing in two visits, which I would be able to do now that I have better tools and have learned some tricks, he wouldn't have had a chance to ask for the other stuff. I guess what I'm saying is that one has to decide his limitations, state them, and stay with them or possibly be taken advantage of.

Flatbedford said:
About 5 years ago I connected with a guy near me who had a few monster Oaks cut at his house by his landscaper who did a pretty messy job. He was from the city and disabled and was happy to have me take what I could. There was so much wood that I made 4 or 5 visits over a few months as my schedule allowed. He started to ask other small favors when I was there. It seems he had been burned by more than one unscrupulous contractors who had left projects unfinished and debris around his property. I took care of a couple things, but I started to feel a little uncomfortable and stopped going there. This was before I burning as seriously as I am now so I didn't move as fast as I would now. If I'd collected every thing in two visits, which I would be able to do now that I have better tools and have learned some tricks, he wouldn't have had a chance to ask for the other stuff. I guess what I'm saying is that one has to decide his limitations, state them, and stay with them or possibly be taken advantage of.

Very well put. Went to the persons house yesterday and turns out the tree was in a wooded area on a hill. Talked to the guy first and made him aware that I wasn't take the brush etc. He said take whatever you want and it will be a lot of wood for one spot. Next door neighbor has a lot of trees down too.

kattpound said:
I took down a dead ash tree for an older couple from my church last fall. I took all the brush and raked the yard but would not make a habit of it. Just felt like the right thing to do in the situation.
in that situation its a good thing to do. i did this for the 2 older people that live next to me when the storm happened. took 3 loads out like this.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 295
smokinjay said:
I try to split where I am. Saw dust and brush No Charge! :cheese: (it stays)
we work it out when we make the agreement with the property owner. Less work for me (IE leaving the limbs and brush) means less cost for them!! And I split on-site whenever I can, esp. if the rounds are monstrosities. Why break yer back when you can break yer wood?

Status
Not open for further replies.