Eucalyptus anyone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArsenalDon

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2012
Meadow Valley, CA
anyone burn it? If so how does it burn? What more common burning wood would you compare it to?

Reactions: Ralphie Boy
It is hardwood, burns very hot because of the oils in it. Seasons quickly. Hard to split due to twisted grain. It's good hot burning wood, but you have to keep an eye on it. You don't want to pack the box with it, it will over fire. I warned a friend that had some, he didn't listen and the heat cracked his glass. It burns hot like madrone, or manzanita. http://firewoodresource.com/firewood-btu-ratings/eucalyptus-firewood/

So it sounds like it may be great to mix with pine. I have a line on 4 free cords of it, already split and seasoned

I've never burned it, but if it burns really hot, I'd be skeptical to combine it with pine. Maybe mix it with oak or something that's not so volatile, as pine can burn furiously hot and fast from the resins in it as well. Either way, four free cord, split anand stacked??? Heck yeah, go get it!!

Reactions: Shane N
That is the best part....I do not have to go get it...my wifes hubby I just found out owns a tree service...he does not burn but he was paying for disposal...Eucalyptus...Oak, Pine, Redwood, etc. He finally got smart and has his guys split it and sells it for $100 per truck load (as much as you can load yourself) but he said for me he would get his big truck and drop off 4 cords free, I just pay for gas. He has 50 or so cords split and seasoned of mixed but a ton of it is Eucalyptus.

Reactions: ScotO
Sounds like somebody was rolling in the chit and came out smelling like a rose again! That's a fantastic deal there, Don......
I'm hoping someday, that Lady Luck will smile on me.....I must've pizzed her off cause it ain't happened yet!

Sounds like somebody was rolling in the chit and came out smelling like a rose again! That's a fantastic deal there, Don......
I'm hoping someday, that Lady Luck will smile on me.....I must've pizzed her off cause it ain't happened yet!
You should have seen me run over to him and literally hug him when he told me this....He said all you want! Said he would make multiple trips...Could end up with 15 cord in 3 trips for a few hundy in gas money...

Reactions: ScotO
That is the best part....I do not have to go get it...my wifes hubby I just found out owns a tree service...he does not burn but he was paying for disposal...Eucalyptus...Oak, Pine, Redwood, etc. He finally got smart and has his guys split it and sells it for $100 per truck load (as much as you can load yourself) but he said for me he would get his big truck and drop off 4 cords free, I just pay for gas. He has 50 or so cords split and seasoned of mixed but a ton of it is Eucalyptus.

:oops: Your wife's hubby? I R CORNFUZED!

Excited Typo...my wifes best friends hubby

Perfectly good firewood. Get it, burn it, you'll figure out how best to use it. Folks in Australia burn it routinely...as do Southern Californians. I'd be glad to take it, but it's not available around here where I live. For those who are familiar with Madrone, Eucalyptus is of similar density. Rick

Good thing you don't have to split it. It's a bi***.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Learn something new everyday!! Great post thanks.

Excited Typo...my wifes best friends hubby

I had to read down this far to see if there was anymore about your wifes hubby.....first time I have read a post and didn't really care about the firewood.

Reactions: Don Williams
What??!!? Thought you were reading about reverse extreme Mormonism?

Good thing you don't have to split it. It's a bi***.

Peace,
- Sequoia
So everyone says...knotted to every last inch they say

Learn something new everyday!! Great post thanks.
no doubt that people here are the most amazing resource every on everything heat

Status
Not open for further replies.