Eureka Pellet from Montana?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tristan

Sep 27, 2007
Central MA
This season will be my second season with pellets. In the past, I've always bought pellets by the bag, fearing the ton because of bad pellets. However, this year I've decided to get pelletd by the done because i now have a pellet duster. Home Depot and Lowes have pellets, but from what i hear they are crappy. Does anyone know where they get their pellets from so that I could avoid those places? Has anyone had any experience with Eureka Pellets from Montana? I rememeber seeing a "Eureka" brand in Lowes or Home Depot last winter. Thank you in advance.

There were some problems with Pennington pellets from HD/Lowes last year (although as I recall from the threads, when notified, the manufacturer replaced or refunded as appropriate). The company claims they've fixed the issues that caused the problems last year - we won't know until folks start burning them for real. But those aren't the only ones HD/Lowes carries - local stores in CT have (had?) the Lignetics brand which are generally considered to be good ones.

I'm burning 3 different kinds this year - Michigan, Hamer, and Barefoot to see which my stove likes best (if any). Some stoves don't care and for most I don't know that the heat output difference is anything more than a perception. Somewhere out there I saw claimed BTU ratings for a few dozen different pellet brands and they ranged from high 7000s to mid 8000s which is pretty substantial if the price doesn't reflect the difference. The ones I'm using are all in the 8200/8300 BTU/lb range.

For the Eurekas, you might want to check on their warranty and if they'll replace the pellets or refund if they don't perform appropriately. Pennington seemed to have been a stand up company last year in dealing with the issues folks on the forum raised - including refunding the money while letting the people keep the pellets (like they wanted to send a truck to pick them up :) ) - in that case free lousy pellets probably weren't quite so lousy anymore.

DiggerJim said:
There were some problems with Pennington pellets from HD/Lowes last year (although as I recall from the threads, when notified, the manufacturer replaced or refunded as appropriate). The company claims they've fixed the issues that caused the problems last year - we won't know until folks start burning them for real. But those aren't the only ones HD/Lowes carries - local stores in CT have (had?) the Lignetics brand which are generally considered to be good ones.

I'm burning 3 different kinds this year - Michigan, Hamer, and Barefoot to see which my stove likes best (if any). Some stoves don't care and for most I don't know that the heat output difference is anything more than a perception. Somewhere out there I saw claimed BTU ratings for a few dozen different pellet brands and they ranged from high 7000s to mid 8000s which is pretty substantial if the price doesn't reflect the difference. The ones I'm using are all in the 8200/8300 BTU/lb range.

For the Eurekas, you might want to check on their warranty and if they'll replace the pellets or refund if they don't perform appropriately. Pennington seemed to have been a stand up company last year in dealing with the issues folks on the forum raised - including refunding the money while letting the people keep the pellets (like they wanted to send a truck to pick them up :) ) - in that case free lousy pellets probably weren't quite so lousy anymore.

Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate the input. Do you have a pellet duster? I have the plans for it that i bought i built from last year. I can share that with you if you are interested, because of your kindly reponse. Thank you.

Tristan said:
DiggerJim said:

Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate the input. Do you have a pellet duster? I have the plans for it that i bought i built from last year. I can share that with you if you are interested, because of your kindly reponse. Thank you.

Nevermind. LOL ... i didnt realize who responded. You already have the plans.

ACE Hardware Superstores in Ft Lauderdale FL is advertising Eureka pellets with a "retail price" of $493.89(!!!!) but now available on special for the low low price of $404.09!

And it doesn't even really get cold down there.

:)

Tristan said:
.....Home Depot and Lowes have pellets, but from what i hear they are crappy. Has anyone had any experience with Eureka Pellets from Montana? I rememeber seeing a "Eureka" brand in Lowes or Home Depot last winter. Thank you in advance.

Just because HD or Lowes sells them, doesn't mean their crappy. They seem to have different pellets each year, so look at a bag of the ones their selling, and see if it says "Premium" on it, and if the Pellet Institute stamp is on them. Most premium pellets should work OK in most stoves.

If you know what brand(s) they have, post a question on here about them, or do a "search" for the name, and see what comes up.

i bought pellets at lowes here in jersey with no problems they were lignetics seam to be a nice pellet /and prestolog witch i think are also by lignetics

digger Jim;

of the three name brands you mention, (hamer hot ones) were very good....we burned those in 05...unable to acquire any since....wish that were not so....

dave1966 said:
i bought pellets at lowes here in jersey with no problems they were lignetics seam to be a nice pellet /and prestolog witch i think are also by lignetics

This is an example of what I said above....who knows what pellets Lowes sold last year, but Lignetics are some of the best pellets around from what I've heard and read here......you just never know what these places are going to get.

Now, for the prices they're trying to charge for them, that's another story.........

DiggerJim said:
ACE Hardware Superstores in Ft Lauderdale FL is advertising Eureka pellets with a "retail price" of $493.89(!!!!) but now available on special for the low low price of $404.09!

And it doesn't even really get cold down there.

:)

What the heck would one do with wood pellets in Ft Lauderdale? Hamster habitat?

Status
Not open for further replies.