Eureka Pellets - in the Northeast

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

staplebox

Jan 2, 2008
Eastern CT
I picked up a ton of these Eureka Pellets at HD a few months ago. I just got around to burning them this week. I am not liking them. The first ton I burnt was Blazers and I really like those pellets. Right now it is 53 degrees in my area of CT and I need to run the stove on a 3-9 setting to keep the house at 70 degrees with the Eureka's. The Blazers, and Fireside Ultras from last year, would cook me out of here on a 1-6 setting with this same outdoor temp.

Anyone else from this area buy these pellets and how do you like them? They are very dark colored (looks like bark). I get large clinkers and, because of the high feed rate needed, a lot of ash. I usually clean the burn area once per day. With these I need to also do one or two "on the fly scoop outs" during the day just to keep he burn plate clear.

Just read the posts above. I am not sure where you got the idea the pellets are made from pallets, but they are not. They are made from the same sources as most pellets around lumber mills, the waste products. They are saw dust, shavings, chips and slash. I have burned them for several years. Although they are uniformed in size and consistent in burn characteristics, they are different from others. You will need to adjust your combustion air, and pay more attention to your cleaning. I have not noticed increased ash, but I burn a variety of pellets. Right now I am burning a regional brand that uses about 1/3 less combustion air, and has a completely different flame characteristic. I do like the heat and the idea that I am burning a "local" product. Also, they are a softwood product. as I remember, tamarack, fir and lodgepole pine. Straight from the forests nearby. They need to burn hot to eliminate clinkers, but I could go a half ton without cleaning, that's low ash.

I would burn Eurekas, but they were not available locally earlier this year, and the dealer I work with said they would not be available. Surprizingly, they are now being sold at Lowe's. I guess the big box stores got contracts.

Just quoting from the article... not my words...

"EPM works with Missoula's Johnson Brothers Recycle, pallet manufacturing and recycling plant. Unrepairable pallets are ground and used for raw materials"

littlesmokey said:
Just read the posts above. I am not sure where you got the idea the pellets are made from pallets, but they are not.

From that site:

EPM works with Missoula's Johnson Brothers Recycle, pallet manufacturing and recycling plant. Unrepairable pallets are ground and used for raw materials. Located in the JBR Pallet Yard is a FREE wood waste dump for all CLEAN wood waste that is also used for pellets

Years ago, we sold the Eureka pellets, and at that time the raw materials were douglas fir, larch and lodgepole pine. They were great for heat output, but were dirty - ash content wise. I'm somewhat sure the materials have changed to a certain degree, (as they all have), due large in part to availability of good raw materials to build from. As the housing market slumps, the lumber operations soften and the raw material availability becomes increasingly sparse, but yet, pellet demand is at a all time high again, forcing the pellet mills to produce more and more fuel with less "quality" raw materials to work with. Not a good sign. Stove manufacturers are ramping up to build stoves to handle higher ash pellets due to the ever increasing problem.

I was hoping that these Eurekas would be similar to the Blazers I burnt and loved. To me, Pennsylvania is out West so I figured these Eurekas would be soft wood pellets from the new territories and burn like the Blazers. I was just wondering if anyone else from the NE had picked these up. I thought maybe they didn't travel well over the Rockies(?), through the dust bowl and over the plains.

Sounds like these are just a poorer brand of pellet. I'd give them a C-. Basically I need to run the stove at a much higher rate to get the same home temp with Eurekas then I did with the Blazers, Fireside Ultra's, or Green team. Walnut sized clinkers 2-3 times per day. I thought maybe they were using Ebony wood because I have never seen such dark pellets. These suckers are almost black.

If I was a 'glass half full' kind of guy the good news would be that because I need to burn them at a higher rate I'll get rid of them quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.