Europa 75 low ember bed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

axcessadam

Nov 28, 2014
CT
Europa 75/dell point
Hey guys, this is the second year running this stove that was here when we purchased the house. Have found out that parts and customer service don't really exist. Last year when one of my blower motor squirrel cages broke, I ended up finding a brand new stove on craigslist and bought it for parts. After some issues last year, I was able to get the stove running well all season. At the end of the season when I was cleaning it, I noticed that the door gasket could use replacing so instead of replacing just the gasket, I took the brand new door off of the parts stove and replaced the door. I have checked for air leaks and gaps using the piece of paper in between the seal and I didn't find any gaps. So now to the problem: I am unable to keep the proper ember bed height this year, last year it was no problem and about 2-3" above this years height. The feed augur turns when it is supposed to but doesn't always spit out pellets(some turns spit out a lot while other turns spit nothing, assuming that the short rotations of the augur just don't push any out at that time so i figure the average amount is ok). I have adjusted the ash extraction all the way down to its lowest setting and have adjusted the combustion air up and down with no luck which are the manuals recommendations to raise the bed height. I have even started the stove with more pellets in the pot than normal to give it an edge. I have adjusted the feed rate to its highest while adjusting the other components again with no luck. I have taken the augur out completely and shoved a coat hanger up there but nothing, I am using a new bag of green supreme which are the same type of pellets I used last year. I have tried to maintain the recommended vacuum but that seems to be too little and the fire dies down to just glowing embers to which I raise the combustion air/vacuum and get the flame back. The flame will go up and down but will stay lit at a lower level than normal. During some feeds of the pellets when it is a larger amount dropping, the pellets will really knock down the flame and it will struggle to come back.If I change the heat setting, I have to make adjustments to keep it barely running. It produces good heat during all this tho. Now I understand that the only thing that is different from last year is the door but I can not find any issues there. Sorry about all the info at once but I wanted to give as much a detailed description as possible. Thanks in advance for the help.

Pellets are the only thing that has changed other than new door?. Try another brand. Manufactures change composition from year to year, some for the better, some for the worse and sometimes its where they where stored at the retailer etc.

Pellets are the only thing that has changed other than new door?. Try another brand. Manufactures change composition from year to year, some for the better, some for the worse and sometimes its where they where stored at the retailer etc.
I am still having issues with the height of the ember bed so I grabbed a bag of pellets that I had left over from last year (different brand also) to see if there was a difference.Unfortunately there is not, I can not maintain a decent ember bed height. I have gone thru the stove to make sure everything is sealed and put together correctly. My last option I believe is to put a new gasket on the old door and put it back on the stove. So odd that this stove has changed the way it has.

I also have a problem with the low ember bed with the Dell Point Europa 75. Serial number 286 005 162, built by Regency (Paromax will not service)
This problem has been going on for the past few years. I have tried adjusting the control settings, as manual page 17 instructs. I decrease the combustion air and decrease ash removal, sometimes down as far as 5 or 3 but I cannot raise the height of the ash bed. This causes ash extraction augurs to warp and I have had to replace two already.
Dealer suggested that I put a valve on the end of the fresh air intake, "to shut out air." This was not helpful. (My fresh air intake was never vented to the outside when stove was installed)
I just saw on the manual page 9 that an "outside air" connection is "highly recommended." I've had the stove since 2006 and didn't know that an additional vent was recommended. A stove guy just told me to buy a "fresh air intake kit" and install it, so I am going to try that. He said that if fresh air goes into the stove, it will help increase the ash bed. (?)

I also have a problem with the low ember bed with the Dell Point Europa 75. Serial number 286 005 162, built by Regency (Paromax will not service)
This problem has been going on for the past few years. I have tried adjusting the control settings, as manual page 17 instructs. I decrease the combustion air and decrease ash removal, sometimes down as far as 5 or 3 but I cannot raise the height of the ash bed. This causes ash extraction augurs to warp and I have had to replace two already.
Dealer suggested that I put a valve on the end of the fresh air intake, "to shut out air." This was not helpful. (My fresh air intake was never vented to the outside when stove was installed)
I just saw on the manual page 9 that an "outside air" connection is "highly recommended." I've had the stove since 2006 and didn't know that an additional vent was recommended. A stove guy just told me to buy a "fresh air intake kit" and install it, so I am going to try that. He said that if fresh air goes into the stove, it will help increase the ash bed. (?)

Let me know how you make out with the fresh air kit. I don't have the manual in front of me to reference page 9 but my stove has a 1" flap on the side of the stove where the ash box is ( which can be accessed thru the door on the right side of stove by removing the two screws and metal panel) that can be adjusted by loosening the bolt which allows the flap to open and then you can tighten the bolt to keep the flap in that position allowing air from the room to enter the bottom of the burn chamber. Without it the suction from the exhaust creates a vacuum which causes a small inefficient flame but having that still does not raise my ember bed. I also have an 1-1/4" pipe that is connected to the bottom of the burn chamber and goes thru the same wall as the flap but on the adjacent side. I have adjusted my stove up and down thru the settings and cannot raise the ember bed at all. I did not have this problem before I changed the door but I definitely needed to, the old door gasket was worn allowing soot and smoke to escape. I have done the seal check with the piece of paper and there are no gaps. Could this stove be too air tight? creating the need for the fresh air intake.

Europa 75/dell point
Hey guys, this is the second year running this stove that was here when we purchased the house. Have found out that parts and customer service don't really exist. Last year when one of my blower motor squirrel cages broke, I ended up finding a brand new stove on craigslist and bought it for parts. After some issues last year, I was able to get the stove running well all season. At the end of the season when I was cleaning it, I noticed that the door gasket could use replacing so instead of replacing just the gasket, I took the brand new door off of the parts stove and replaced the door. I have checked for air leaks and gaps using the piece of paper in between the seal and I didn't find any gaps. So now to the problem: I am unable to keep the proper ember bed height this year, last year it was no problem and about 2-3" above this years height. The feed augur turns when it is supposed to but doesn't always spit out pellets(some turns spit out a lot while other turns spit nothing, assuming that the short rotations of the augur just don't push any out at that time so i figure the average amount is ok). I have adjusted the ash extraction all the way down to its lowest setting and have adjusted the combustion air up and down with no luck which are the manuals recommendations to raise the bed height. I have even started the stove with more pellets in the pot than normal to give it an edge. I have adjusted the feed rate to its highest while adjusting the other components again with no luck. I have taken the augur out completely and shoved a coat hanger up there but nothing, I am using a new bag of green supreme which are the same type of pellets I used last year. I have tried to maintain the recommended vacuum but that seems to be too little and the fire dies down to just glowing embers to which I raise the combustion air/vacuum and get the flame back. The flame will go up and down but will stay lit at a lower level than normal. During some feeds of the pellets when it is a larger amount dropping, the pellets will really knock down the flame and it will struggle to come back.If I change the heat setting, I have to make adjustments to keep it barely running. It produces good heat during all this tho. Now I understand that the only thing that is different from last year is the door but I can not find any issues there. Sorry about all the info at once but I wanted to give as much a detailed description as possible. Thanks in advance for the help.

Hello axcessadam, Last heating season and this heating season, I have had the exact same problem with the low ember bed. This causes the augurs on the ash extraction to warp. I have had to repeatedly replace the stripped out augurs on the ash extraction.
For solutions, I recently tried: 1.) increasing the feed level by pressing the # 11 Manual Feed button. I pressed this button repeatedly, after the stove was fired up, but could not get it to activate. When it does activate, the whole control panel goes blank and only the feed level appears in window "B." I finally pressed the #11 button, the control panel went blank and I tried to increase the manual feed. Then, it seemed like I had somehow messed up the control panel. BUT, during the few days after that, the burn pot went crazy, getting really full -- too full. So I have either one extreme or another.
Another thing I need to try is 2.) Seal up the air leaks in the ash extraction chamber. A person on this Hearth website named Irish man gave me detailed instructions to do this, years ago! with Rutland cement. I don't think I have done it correctly. I just now looked into the ash extraction chamber, where the pipe connects to the back (the pipe that transmits the ash out) and I can clearly see where there are 'cracks" and "gaps." Whe n I am able, I am going to try to seal up the perimeter of where the pipe meets the wall.
I will let you know how it goes.