evaluating used boilers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjvt

May 1, 2014
VT
Any words of wisdom when shopping for a used boiler? Specific things to look out for and evaluate? How long have the gasifiers been around in the US?

If its a gasser, try to find out if they had return water temp protection. If no protection don't buy. Look at the refractory including the nozzle, they will need replaced every so often any how so I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor but I would take it into consideration. Door seals are another wear item. I would do a pressure check on it before hauling it home.

I would suggest if you find a used boiler ,post what you have found and get advice on that particular unit . I have owned three different boilers and they all had strong and weak points .

Status
Not open for further replies.