Even ash needs room to season quickly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
I was moving wood today from my "back" stacks to the stacks close to my house that I pull from during the burning season. I have around 8 cords close to the house so I use about half that ever year so half of it gets another year in the close stack before getting burned.

My "back" stacks I stack on pallets with little to no air space between the rows. Today I grabbed some pieces near the bottom of the third row in and set them to the side so I could split them open and check a couple. The two I split were still around 34% m/c, this wood was stacked there in March of 2010! I shouldn't need to touch it this season and it'll be fine by next season but 2 years of seasoning and not any better from the day I stuck it back there since standing dead ash is usually around 3x%. When I refill the back racks I'm going to move the pallets away from each other so they have some room to breath.

I pulled a piece of ash that came from the same tree but was put in my close stacks last year and it was 19%. This tells me it's all about location...........location........location.....;)

Pictures of "back" stacks and "close" stacks so you can see the set up. The row with the red X on it is where I tested from today. The close stacks all have 36 inches between the stacks and are off the ground. The pictures aren't current but show the set up. :)

Attachments

• Ash (Large).JPG
    Ash (Large).JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 214
  • P7270137 (Large).JPG
    P7270137 (Large).JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 230
I was moving wood today from my "back" stacks to the stacks close to my house that I pull from during the burning season. I have around 8 cords close to the house so I use about half that ever year so half of it gets another year in the close stack before getting burned.

My "back" stacks I stack on pallets with little to no air space between the rows. Today I grabbed some pieces near the bottom of the third row in and set them to the side so I could split them open and check a couple. The two I split were still around 34% m/c, this wood was stacked there in March of 2010! I shouldn't need to touch it this season and it'll be fine by next season but 2 years of seasoning and not any better from the day I stuck it back there since standing dead ash is usually around 3x%. When I refill the back racks I'm going to move the pallets away from each other so they have some room to breath.

I pulled a piece of ash that came from the same tree but was put in my close stacks last year and it was 19%. This tells me it's all about location...........location........location.....;)

Pictures of "back" stacks and "close" stacks so you can see the set up. The row with the red X on it is where I tested from today. The close stacks all have 36 inches between the stacks and are off the ground. The pictures aren't current but show the set up. :)

thanks for posting this. its valuable info and a motivation for me to not stack so tightly. but for me its all about space....space...space.

Reactions: ScotO
I'm tight for space, too. I try not to stack too tight, though, and I keep the weeds and brush down around the stacks. If you keep those weeds cut down that may help some air move around that back pile.

I'm stacking 6 to 8 splits wide, and have no major moisture issues. I DO cover the stuff I plan on burning this winter (only the top) in the summer, other than that it is uncovered all the time. Air can easily get through the stacks, and they are in the sun most of the day.

As long as your wood gets an extra year in the front stack you'll be okay. Thats one of the reasons I made my stacks the way I did, my oak is only two wide with space between and right in the open. I wish I had the room you have.

If you keep those weeds cut down that may help some air move around that back pile.

This is very true, previous years I didn't do anything to keep the weeds down. This year I've mowed and whipped around them to keep the weeds down. Another thing that I think helps is getting the wood off the ground even higher than pallets. To me it seems like the moisture from the ground is a big issue so I either need to get the pallets off the ground or maybe put some plastic down to keep the moisture from coming up. It won't be cheap like grabbing free pallets from work but I may start to employ the same set up I use for my close stacks in the back.

Reactions: ScotO
As long as your wood gets an extra year in the front stack you'll be okay. Thats one of the reasons I made my stacks the way I did, my oak is only two wide with space between and right in the open. I wish I had the room you have.

I know it'll be fine in another year and usually I get the wood moved up front earlier than now but with kid 2 born in April my time has been preoccupied. ;) Being that it's ash it will probably even dry up ok by October, I'll give it a look in the fall and see how it did. The pieces I checked were on the bottom layer so it's a worst case look, I think the stuff up higher is in better shape.

That idea of stacking single rows on blocks is AWESOME!
Great picture showing how to do it too. Can whack the grass under the rows.
That has to be one of the top ways to season wood here. ;)
Great job of stacking too.

I use old carpet & landscape cloth under the pallets to keep the weeds down.
You're right about getting moisture from the ground if there is no air circulating underneath.
I still have not convinced myself that keeping the rain off isn't important, but am trying.
A top cover of pallets with a cover over them may work. Rain does get the wood wet, IMO.

I'm with Steve, a top cover helps.
But I am letting some green wood out to do it's thing, so far it is getting drier, but when it rains, I cringe. LOL :)

I still have not convinced myself that keeping the rain off isn't important, but am trying.
I'm with Steve, a top cover helps.
But I am letting some green wood out to do it's thing, so far it is getting drier, but when it rains, I cringe. LOL :)

same here dave -

for 35+ years of burning i've always top covered. this is the first time i'm leaving some of my 12/13 stacks uncovered (till fall) and all of the 13/14 and anything beyond uncovered. we'll see what happens.

OT

I heard somebody say that leaving them exposed to the rain is a good thing. If the are elevated and have air circulation.
BECAUSE the rain washes the oils and resins off the wood, which if left on slow the drying process.

Like I said I only heard some one say it. I have no experience.

I have 4.5 cords of oak that are in single racks with a plywood cover and 4.5 cords of oak stacked 2 wide against my garage wall with about a 6" air space. Its way to early to notice any difference.

I heard somebody say that leaving them exposed to the rain is a good thing. If the are elevated and have air circulation.
BECAUSE the rain washes the oils and resins off the wood, which if left on slow the drying process.

Like I said I only heard some one say it. I have no experience.

I have 4.5 cords of oak that are in single racks with a plywood cover and 4.5 cords of oak stacked 2 wide against my garage wall with about a 6" air space. Its way to early to notice any difference.

That is interesting. That is the first time I have every heard that theory. It is plausible. I will be interested to see if anyone else has information to support the theory.

rdust, I remember those pics. Is there any way to expand that "back" area to increase space between the wood?
I'm fortunate to be able to do single rows, so no experience with your method.
I also think that mowing around those might allow a little better air flow. Maybe, as you move those to the "front" stacks, you can begin that transformation.
Don't know about your area, but around here, I wouldn't want to go near those back stacks due to all the ticks that would hitch a ride on me.!!

rdust, I remember those pics. Is there any way to expand that "back" area to increase space between the wood?
I'm fortunate to be able to do single rows, so no experience with your method.
I also think that mowing around those might allow a little better air flow. Maybe, as you move those to the "front" stacks, you can begin that transformation.
Don't know about your area, but around here, I wouldn't want to go near those back stacks due to all the ticks that would hitch a ride on me.!!

Yeah there is plenty off room, I was just trying to keep the footprint down. I may do a single row n/s and one e/w, I'll have to draw up a plan and present it to the boss for her approval. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.