Ever get a log most of the way in, then realize it won't fit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to be a stick in the mud but i've never had this problem. (knock on wood)
I only load rounds for the over-night burns. I know my stove is 17 " deep,
and my rounds 6" to 9" max. I load a large round and a slightly smaller one with it.

Pieces that have any chance of being too big are saved for starting new fires to go in first.

Well, there is diagonally, when I get one too big and put it in that way it screws the entire load up and I have to wait till it burns down a bit; costs time
Then there is the big one that just won't go in; I pick it up and toss it out the front door (close to the stove) and go out and pour water on it. Later my wife says, "losing your depth perception again?"
And, don't forget about the one's that are sized just fine, but you try to get them in for that last piece to make a full load. You try this way, that way and the other way with no success. Then it is back to option 2, throw it out the door and water it.

If this hasn't happened to you yet, then you are most likely a newbie or you don't burn much, Ehy?

LOL
Here's my story: big round that would have fit fine but I misjudged a branch stump off one side. Got the thing part way in, lots of sap ignited the part already in the stove, the stove door wide open and drafting like mad and I had visions of all of the above stories! But the thought of carrying this flaming log across my house to get outside just did not sit well with me, so I chose to use an ingeniously designed Japanese hand saw (which should never be mis-used like this) to saw off the problem bump, all while half of it was in the stove (front loader) burning like crazy.

Luckily most scary lessons allow you to learn something!

Kate b.

I wish I had a picture of you cutting that barb off with the flames shooting up!

struggle
ROFLMAO!!!!!

I have a contingency plan just in case but all I ever really had was one end get started a little when I was trying to wiggle a giant piece from a crotch of the tree in the stove.

Contingency plan
There is a window adjacent to the stove.
There is no screen in said window ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.