1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Ever had happen?

Post in 'The Gear' started by n6crv, Oct 7, 2012.

1. n6crv

n6crv Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Hillsdale Co. Michigan
    Hello, was wondering if anyone else had this happen? Was cutting with a friend yesterday and he was working on a big old Ash tree. I could tell something was wrong by the way he stopped and starting looking at his legs. Blood was all over him and the tree was red where he was cutting. So after seeing he was fine finished cutting and found the tree had two Coons living in it. One gave him a nasty look then ran off the other one was not going anywhere. How do you check to see if anything is living in a tree before cutting? Glad it was NOT a Skunk or we would still be sitting outside.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I've heard of it happening several times, but never had it happen to me. Worst thing I've ever had happen as far as animals and tree-falling was displacement of a squirrel nest that was in a rotted out crotch in a maple I cut down two years ago (burning wood from that tree as I type this). Sad thing was, there were babies that were still hairless in that nest. Didn't know what to do with them, and the mother was distraught. So I left the tree lay as it was and returned the next morning, the mother and babies were gone. Hope she got them to safety.

As for your incident, that had to be disheartening to see blood everywhere. I bet you thought he did something to himself, probably scared you at first!
  3. FireBones

FireBones Member

Loc:
    Norfolk County Ontario
    Racoons are dirty and I would hate to get any coon DNA into a cut or open wound or in my mouth.
  4. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    How'd you like to be pulled over with blood all over you and the saw that's in the bed of your truck. Geesh.
    Realstone, rkshed, Dairyman and 3 others like this.
  5. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    And to think I still feel guilty about running over the baby bunnies with the lawnmower in 1965.
    They weren't even big enough to eat.:(
    Realstone and colin.p like this.
  6. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    Similar thing happened to me although no color. I was on a ladder trimming a 10" branch when I felt fluid running down my arm. Scared the #$%* out of me. It was water sitting in a hollowed out section of the branch I was cutting. Man, that was a relief.
  7. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I had that happen once. I probably turned pale as a ghost because I thought I cut myself but it hadn't started hurting yet.

I have enough to do than worry about a critter getting in the way of the chain. Natural selection...survival of the fittest...deepening the gene pool...all that stuff.
    n6crv likes this.
  8. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    New one for me.
    Few seconds of terror & a bad day for the coon.
  9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Had that happen once in my old logging days. Certainly not as bad as felling a tree that is loaded with bees!
    Dairyman and n6crv like this.
  10. n6crv

n6crv Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Hillsdale Co. Michigan
    Did you also get some that ran down that was warm?
    donnest likes this.
  11. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    I always tap on a hollow trunk (usually I leave them for habitat,2-3 per acre) or log first when the rare one is removed.Whether its a standing snag or deadfall.

Last December I was still splitting up the last of the 12 cords of dead mostly Red Oak cut in previous 8 months.Grabbed this round from the pile & hit it once with the X25.It was quite cold & I was wearing heavy lined leather gloves.Suddenly this white footed deer mouse come scurrying out of that small hole in the end.Obviously built a nest when the logs were dumped earlier in the summer.I grabbed it carefully,set it down a couple feet away where it went under a pile of leaves & brush.

See what an ol' softie I am? ;)

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      118.2 KB
      Views:
    melissa71 and Realstone like this.
  12. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    I have hit water, but never critters. Even the water scared me for a split second!
  13. rkshed

rkshed Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NH
    I just hit water this weekend.
    Splitting some oak I had just felled and found out there was a pocket of water in the middle of the log. It had to be a good 2 cups worth. It splashed out and I jumped thinking I had just done something I shouldn't have... Just didn't know what.
    I've never seen that before.
    If it had been a snake i'd still be out there chopping and slashing away at it.
  14. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

I took a tree down with a bird nest in it last year squished the baby's ! I felt terrible I was in a crook of a branch where I could not see them. When we where cleaning up I found them.
  15. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH
    I helped drop a big oak once loaded with squirrels. No outside evidence of them but when my friend was sawing he could tell the center was rotten. We worked onthe tree for quite awhile and no sign of squirrels until we dropped it. They swarmed out like bees. They had a nest that must have been 20 feet long inside.
  16. Prof

Prof Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Western PA
    I cut a hollow tree down one time that had a squirrel in it--no blood though.
  17. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    A number of years ago I took down a tree with a nest of young chickadees in it . . . felt pretty bad . . . although I did manage to save one bird by catching him/her and bringing them to a local avian shelter.

Now I try to avoid cutting down trees in the Spring when the birds are nesting . . .
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  18. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    I had squirrels make the ride down but didnt stick around for the bucking.
  19. punchy

punchy Burning Hunk

Loc:
    mid mo
    i saw a mouse pop out and back in a hole once. he/they rode the tree till it stopped. saw more of them while bucking, but never came near the saw.
  20. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    Well you know, they always say if you have dead tree on the property it is a good idea to leave it standing to provide a home for wildlife. Guess the folks to advise that don't burn...
  21. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    One more reason we usually stop cutting in March. Our cutting season runs December through February and only occasionally into early March.
  22. onetracker

onetracker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    rondout valley ny
    as thistle said- he leaves so many standing-dead per acre. that's land stewardship.

and backwoods, just another illustration of your experience
    Backwoods Savage and firebroad like this.
  23. mywaynow

mywaynow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast
    Last two times I went to split some of the big Hickory I bucked last winter, when I start the splitter up the mice start to pop up. I think they have a nest in the main square tube frame. Going there today and the splitter is coming home so I hope they have seatbelts! Better yet hope they jump ship when I split the last of the tree and stay there!
  24. Realstone

Realstone Lord of Fire

Loc:
    Southern ON
    Thought about suggesting hitting the trunk with a steel bat, but that would probably make the critters hunker down even more.