Ever have "one of those days" trying to start your boiler?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stee6043

Minister of Fire
Aug 22, 2008
West Michigan
I'll tell you what....last night I turned my usual 10 minute starting routine into a two beer, 45 minute fiasco. I just couldn't win. First, my kindling was a little wet from all the wind we had blowing snow up under my deck. Second, I may have rushed a little when picking my starter pieces of wood and grabbed some pieces that were too big. And last...I did not pray to the boiler gods quickly enough.

I screwed around with more paper, more kindling, less wood, more wood for a good 30 minutes before I finally found a 2x4 scrap and threw it in just so I could get something to light off. It was all completely avoidable but it was just one of those nights.

I just wonder if I'm the only dummy that occasionally forgets how to start a fire....

You're not alone. I do this about twice a month. Or I get busy and forget to turn off the draft inducer and colse the bypass damper. Until I get storage running, I am loading late at night (last night was 12:30 am) to get through to 7 am. This late loading is when the mistakes tend to happen.

I was right there with you yesterday!!!! I smelled like I was in a house fire after I was finished!!! Cold boiler,low return temps and cold air from the blower makes for a real hard start!!!

Rob

How 'bout the opposite? Fast starting fire, loading wood, and then leaving the bypass damper open and "boiler gone wild."

I thought I was the only one...just seems every once in a while can't get a fire going to save my life...maybe 1-2 times per month, for no particular reason...

Thanks for reminding us about the one advantage to NON-Storage :wow:

Teens overnight, +20 mph winds, low 20's for a daytime high . . . . we don't need to start fires here! I think I started my last fire about a month ago.

Jimbo

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Thanks for reminding us about the one advantage to NON-Storage :wow:

Teens overnight, +20 mph winds, low 20's for a daytime high . . . . we don't need to start fires here! I think I started my last fire about a month ago.

Jimbo

...........same here! But I would gladly trade back to starting fires for temps over 40! or, at least winds under 10mph? I know I have nothing to complain about compared to many!!

Yeah, that happened to me the other day when I forgot to hit the start button to turn the blower back on. Came back & coals were pretty cold & I had to get some paper/kindling flamed & decent coals below before gasification.
Ya know: I think this is another advantage of the Garn, no need to worry about getting downdraft. If you have the kindling going ok, it only has to burn upward & I would think this wouldn't take much...

jebatty said:
How 'bout the opposite? Fast starting fire, loading wood, and then leaving the bypass damper open and "boiler gone wild."

I'm adding an alarm output to my controller that will be triggered by flue temp. Three scary scenarios:

1) A small piece of firewood prevents the damper from closing all the way. Inexperienced operator turns it on and walks away.

2) Your scenario - getting distracted and forgetting to switch over. I use a kitchen timer to reduce that risk, but still it's possible.

3) 'Updraft gasifier': during startup with the lower door open, fresh air from the lower chamber goes up the rear HX tubes and ignites the gases coming through the damper from the primary chamber. Huge secondary flame in flue. Flue temp skyrockets instantly.

I never had scenario 3 until this year. I blame it on too much kindling that's really dry. VERY scary, I can assure you. Fortunately I was right there when it happened.

I've had some hang-fires in lighting, too-- and usually, I can blame myself for too little or mediocre kindling, which I have resorted to sometimes when I was in a hurry. The results have schooled me that a few minutes spend whacking a log or two into kindling before trying to start the unit will MORE than be paid back in the time/ frustration saved and the results of a quick and successful light off.

nofossil said:
2) Your scenario - getting distracted and forgetting to switch over. I use a kitchen timer to reduce that risk, but still it's possible.

Every time I light a new fire I set a 20 minute alarm on my iPhone...I amazed the number of times it goes off and I completely forgot that I had started a fire and should now go load some would and close to damper.

Probably the same reason my wife makes me promise to use the whistle on the teapot...

O yes to burn w no storage Started a fire about month and a half ago n just keep on burning Same here 20+ mph winds for the last couple days w hi temps in the mid 20 s Winter has finally arrived to NY I am no stranger though to what i will call a brain fart moment start one thing move on to another and forget to back n check the first one I started We all are only human....

shoeboxlen said:
just do what I do leave it burning all the time :)

Hah..Not a chance!!! 95% of the time starting my boiler is a relaxing and enjoyable process (best enjoyed with at least one beer immediately after work). But, man, yesterday was one of the 5%. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one!!!

Heading downstairs now for my daily start....I have a feeling I sacrificed enough newspaper and kindling to the boiler gods yesterday that I should be good to go today...

Status
Not open for further replies.