Ever Hear of This Code????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

linckeil

Mar 3, 2008
newtown ct
so a couple months ago, i sent the wife to the town hall to pickup a form to obtain the permit to install the stove. i filled it out and provided the stove manual as they require. so this morning she brought in the form and was told the form has since changed as well as some of the requirments of the town, but they would process my form as is. so my wife was told that the town now requires a smoke detector in each bedroom of the home!!!!!! the inspector's receptionist told her this. the inspector is suppoed to be calling me directly to discuss this and other "new" requirements.....

i know you must follow the guidelines outlined by the stove/chimney manufacturer - thats a no brainer - but have you ever heard of this smoke detector in each bedroom requirement? i'm hoping my wife misunderstood, but i won't know until the inspector calls me back.....

I am no pro but I have heard that this is the requirement in all new construction here in NJ. i am sure it varies by state/municipality.

PARAL said:
I am no pro but I have heard that this is the requirement in all new construction here in NJ. i am sure it varies by state/municipality.

I can SECOND that! I live in NJ too, and had my home built just over 10 years ago! Not only IS it code, IT is "life-or-death" important! I know that I want my wife, kids, and myself to have enough time to get the heck of the house in the event of a fire!!!! The upside is LIFE, the only downside is having to test the detectors & change the damn batteries!!!! Oh...and by the way...get yourself a pair of Carbon-Monoxide Detectors while at Home Depot, unless you love ETERNAL SLEEP. :)

Kev

Every state has adopted that code. It was brought about in the 1994 residential building code. the reason was a baby died from smoke inhalation when her mother put an electric heater to close to a curtian and closed the door in the babys bedroom. the curtian cought fire and suffocated the infant. if there would have been a SD in her room it would have set the others off, providing they were working. The code states in every bedroom, with in 10 ft of the bedroom door, and on every other level.

I believe it is like that in NH no matter stove or not. Kinda makes sense if you think about it.

thats fine and dandy for new construction and i ceertainly understand the importance of smoke detectors, BUT, when installing a wood burning stove in a home that predates this mandate, can the town (now that i am installing a stove) force me to install these smoke detectors in each room?

i liken this to forcing a 1965 automobile to pass current emissions standards. sure, it would benefit the environment, but is it fair to hold that car to standards it was never built (or required) to meet....

When we had our home built 9 yrs ago it was reqired to have a smoke alarm in every bedroom.

linckeil said:
thats fine and dandy for new construction and i ceertainly understand the importance of smoke detectors, BUT, when installing a wood burning stove in a home that predates this mandate, can the town (now that i am installing a stove) force me to install these smoke detectors in each room?

i liken this to forcing a 1965 automobile to pass current emissions standards. sure, it would benefit the environment, but is it fair to hold that car to standards it was never built (or required) to meet....

go see if they have a written ordinance, or if it just some hot shot hitler guy that makes up his own chit.

This is a code in Newtown Ct. It is based upon a life safety issue and the effort to force a common sense issue to done

linckeil said:

A agree that many things these days simply do not make sense. However, anything so simple to implement that COULD POSSIBLY someday save you or your family member's life is worth the effort. There is absolutely no correlation to this fire code requirement, and you getting a new wood stove. All the MORE reason you should get them as you will have a wood stove.

BTW.... I was not joking about getting the Carbon Monoxide Detector either. Although this may not be required by code (someone please correct me), It is probably just as important a safety device to have in your home.

You can buy them for five bucks apiece for the cheapies. Personally there is a smoke alarm and CO detector in every bedroom in this house and in the halls on all three levels. Interconnected so when one goes all go. I had a fire in the kitchen darn near burn the place down and my wife upstairs never heard the downstairs smoke alarm go off. Never again! This place sounds like an arcade when they all go off.

i will look for an ordinanance on this. and just to re-emphasize, i understand this can save lives and should likely be done regardless of whether or not a stove is installed. i am looking for input on whether or not a home that predates this code would be forced to meet this requirement.

another simple, inexpensive measure that could possibly save your life would be to install a fire extinguisher in every room, but i'm not aware of that being the code. i have 4 properly charged extinguisers in my 2,300 square foot home - but having one in each room would surely be safer.

I believe our inspector called for detectors adjacent to all bedrooms and in the basement. I got the three pack with the snooze alarm feature... :D

Well, at least they're not requiring you to put in hard wired ones, right?

Usually the more smoke detectors the better. However, after many verbal battles with the wife, the one in the kitchen is now moved around the corner and sits just outside the kitchen. I finally got to the point where every time the oven door was opened the damn thing would go off and ruin dinner and said that`s it--no more!!

Net result is dinners are enjoyable again, and we still feel safe and secure. And a whole lot happier not listening to that damn thing beeping during supper :cheese:

We have 3 upstairs,2 downstairs and 1 in the basement!all hooked together so that when one goes off so do the others.The one thing i hate about all the detectors is that when a backup battery starts to get weak you hear a single beep every 30 seconds or so and have to search for the one that needs the new 9v battery. 8-/

Yep, and here it has absolutely nothing to do with having a stove... it's required building code, and is mandatory for any real estate transaction.

sonnyinbc said:
I finally got to the point where every time the oven door was opened the damn thing would go off and ruin dinner and said that`s it--no more!!

Three words: Quit burning dinner. :lol:

In the midst of a major home renovation (30 y/o house). Any remodeling project has to meet current code. We have a curved staircase that doesn't, so we're being very careful not to do anything to disturb that staircase. It can stay. Lots of mods to the electrical system, so the whole thing has to be brought up to code. We're gonna end up with 8 smoke detectors, all wired together. Not just one in every bedroom, but in the hallways as well. Makes me feel pretty good. Rick

BrotherBart said:
You can buy them for five bucks apiece for the cheapies.

Seriously!!! It's not a bad thing! Just do it and be done with it.

I don't understand the reluctance to install detectors. They're cheap insurance. They take 5 minutes to install. Why the heck not?

Hi,

I think unless you have ten bedrooms, getting a few smoke alarms, should be the least of your worries. As for the carbon monoxcide. detectors. I know in some places you are now being required to have one on each level. I know this because I am an HVAC contractor and when we do an install, part of the inspections is for carbon monoxcide detectors. I also have one of each detectors in each bedroom and also the kitchen.

Tom(NJ)

Code in New York as well.

BrotherBart said:
sonnyinbc said:
I finally got to the point where every time the oven door was opened the damn thing would go off and ruin dinner and said that`s it--no more!!

Three words: Quit burning dinner. :lol:

Well the wife is still working and I am still cooking dinner, and it is so sweet now, none of that god damn wailing and beeping happening/ and just fyi, when her girlfriends come over for a visit, usually at dinner time/ they always stay to gorge themselves, so I must be doing something right.??

And always keep in mind, that if she ever chucks me to the wind, that there are lots of others out there that appreciate a decent meal that doesn`t come out of a package/and are actually amazed by that fact ;-P

So what are you cooking up tonight BB?? ha,ha,ha

Status
Not open for further replies.