Ever paint your firebox?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loco Gringo

Feeling the Heat
Jan 17, 2011
Western North Carolina
Prior to setting my newly purchased Buck I want to get my firebox as attractive as possible. Other than a serious cleaning what can a man do to make it look its best? Ive done some searching and it seems that black stove paint is my best option but I would like to keep it white. Not that its very white anymore.

OK I'll bite...why in the world would you paint the inside if your fire box? Are guests going to look inside and inspect it? You should have ash and clean firebricks. If the outside matters and you have a purdy ceramic stove than wipe it down and call it good.

Cuz Im gonna set the stove in the firebox of my fireplace and you will still see it even though the stove is set within it. I didnt mean the firebox of the stove itself.

I painted the inside of my fireplace in high temp black before installing the 30-NC. Don't need them cobwebs showing up when I am sitting on the couch watching the fire.

wouldn't the surrond panels for the insert hide your view of the old fireplace firebox, thus making it poitnless to paint an area that's going to be covered up by panels?

I don't know, maybe check out - forrestpaint.com- something like that. Lots of cool, hi-temp colors. Just be carefull spraying it on, pretty nasty stuff to breathe.

Beetle-Kill said:
I don't know, maybe check out - forrestpaint.com- something like that. Lots of cool, hi-temp colors. Just be carefull spraying it on, pretty nasty stuff to breathe.

For sure. The acetone in that stuff makes you, oh I don't know, see the birdie. Nice birdies. I think I need to fall down now.

At least after spraying that stuff indoors I can blame it and not the booze for the brain damage. But I still suspect the paint. After it the headache lasted for days. After the booze it goes away by that afternoon.

Never again in this house. The paint, not the booze.

Mt Ski Bum said:
wouldn't the surrond panels for the insert hide your view of the old fireplace firebox, thus making it poitnless to paint an area that's going to be covered up by panels?

No bum, Im gonna leave it as a freestanding connected to a 6 inch stainless with a block-off plate. I want all of that heat. But Im big on appearance.

BrotherBart said:
Beetle-Kill said:

For sure. The acetone in that stuff makes you, oh I don't know, see the birdie. Nice birdies. I think I need to fall down now.

At least after spraying that stuff indoors I can blame it and not the booze for the brain damage. But I still suspect the paint. After it the headache lasted for days. After the booze it goes away by that afternoon.

Never again in this house. The paint, not the booze.

LMAO!!! I painted in the house and man I know that feeling! If this stove wasn't so heavy I would have hauled it outside to paint it.. Nasty fumes!

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.