1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Ever regret bringing in splits?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by LLigetfa, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    I switched to burning Poplar now mostly to get rid of it and cuz it's so mild out. I don't go out of my way to find it but do cull sick trees on my land. Anyway, what I brought in tonight was discoloured and I noticed an off smell as I was re-splitting it in the shed to bring in. Now it stunk up my whole house with the smell of sour milk and rotten fruit. I don't feel like taking it back outside and it's too much to stuff into the stove since it's so mild out. Oh crap.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. cityevader

cityevader New Member

Loc:
    Santa Cruz "Mountains"
    Due to my wife's reaction, I regret the time I brought in a scorpion in the evening's load of wood...but that's different
  3. Bigcube

Bigcube Member

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    That stinks.. literally :sick:

I regretted it all winter when every time I put one it it would smolder and smoke instead of burn. I have a cord of "seasoned" wood I bought this winter that will be the start of next years wood.
  4. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    We've been burning Poplar for the last month too but so far no odor problem. I do have regrets on some logs I bring in this time of year...like if they have ants in them.
  5. Redburn

Redburn Member

Loc:
    Southern Ct
    I brought in some red oak splits that had a little snow on them and thought I would dry them by the fire and it awoke some carpenter ants so in the fire they went..
  6. Constrictor

Constrictor Member

Loc:
    Home of the white squirrel Missouri
    I have a brand new full size trash can with a lid that i keep wood inside the house. Hopefully the lid keeps any bugs inside and not in the house.
  7. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Well, I ended up staying up late just so I could toss it all into the stove. House smelled good in the morning and was nice and warm to boot. I don't generally have a problem bringing in insects but I did bring in a longhorn beetle last week. No scorpions but the wife gets the willies when she sees bits of snake skin stuck to he wood from when they molt in the woodpile. I tell her they keep the mouse excrement to a minimum. Supposedly mice transmit disease through their excrement.
  8. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    Yes, they can, a type of blastomicosis, which is a fungus that feeds on the dropings, when it is disturbed it release spores which can be inhaled, then the damned stuff starts growing in lungs, by-products of fungus are toxic to neural systems in addition to smuthering to death from the inside out. Treatments are akin to flull blown cancer treatments. Sucess rate about the same. I lost a very good Brittany to it 15 years ago and a good friend about 10. The Brit picked it up here in SE Wisconsin, My friend out west while on a hunting trip. There are 3 basic strains of the stuff. Very difficult to detect in early stages as mimics common cold. Biopsy only sure way. Another type can be found in old musty & dusty buildings and something similar from decaying leaves in very moist areas. This stuff is a plant, not a bacteria or virus.
  9. Brian VT

Brian VT Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern VT
    Jeezus blades. You're making me want to move to Alaska. At least I'll know it was a polar bear that killed me and I won't suffer long. lol
  10. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
  11. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I think I'll stick to keeping the cats around for rodent reduction rather than snakes . . .
  12. Wet1

Wet1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    USA
    Cats tend to keep the snake population in check as well. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.