Ever regret bringing in splits?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LLigetfa

Minister of Fire
Nov 9, 2008
NW Ontario
I switched to burning Poplar now mostly to get rid of it and cuz it's so mild out. I don't go out of my way to find it but do cull sick trees on my land. Anyway, what I brought in tonight was discoloured and I noticed an off smell as I was re-splitting it in the shed to bring in. Now it stunk up my whole house with the smell of sour milk and rotten fruit. I don't feel like taking it back outside and it's too much to stuff into the stove since it's so mild out. Oh crap.

Due to my wife's reaction, I regret the time I brought in a scorpion in the evening's load of wood...but that's different

That stinks.. literally :sick:

I regretted it all winter when every time I put one it it would smolder and smoke instead of burn. I have a cord of "seasoned" wood I bought this winter that will be the start of next years wood.

We've been burning Poplar for the last month too but so far no odor problem. I do have regrets on some logs I bring in this time of year...like if they have ants in them.

I brought in some red oak splits that had a little snow on them and thought I would dry them by the fire and it awoke some carpenter ants so in the fire they went..

I have a brand new full size trash can with a lid that i keep wood inside the house. Hopefully the lid keeps any bugs inside and not in the house.

Well, I ended up staying up late just so I could toss it all into the stove. House smelled good in the morning and was nice and warm to boot. I don't generally have a problem bringing in insects but I did bring in a longhorn beetle last week. No scorpions but the wife gets the willies when she sees bits of snake skin stuck to he wood from when they molt in the woodpile. I tell her they keep the mouse excrement to a minimum. Supposedly mice transmit disease through their excrement.

Yes, they can, a type of blastomicosis, which is a fungus that feeds on the dropings, when it is disturbed it release spores which can be inhaled, then the damned stuff starts growing in lungs, by-products of fungus are toxic to neural systems in addition to smuthering to death from the inside out. Treatments are akin to flull blown cancer treatments. Sucess rate about the same. I lost a very good Brittany to it 15 years ago and a good friend about 10. The Brit picked it up here in SE Wisconsin, My friend out west while on a hunting trip. There are 3 basic strains of the stuff. Very difficult to detect in early stages as mimics common cold. Biopsy only sure way. Another type can be found in old musty & dusty buildings and something similar from decaying leaves in very moist areas. This stuff is a plant, not a bacteria or virus.

Jeezus blades. You're making me want to move to Alaska. At least I'll know it was a polar bear that killed me and I won't suffer long. lol

LLigetfa said:
Well, I ended up staying up late just so I could toss it all into the stove. House smelled good in the morning and was nice and warm to boot. I don't generally have a problem bringing in insects but I did bring in a longhorn beetle last week. No scorpions but the wife gets the willies when she sees bits of snake skin stuck to he wood from when they molt in the woodpile. I tell her they keep the mouse excrement to a minimum. Supposedly mice transmit disease through their excrement.

I think I'll stick to keeping the cats around for rodent reduction rather than snakes . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.