Ever want to fly in a B-17 but never had the chance?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jharkin

Minister of Fire
Oct 21, 2009
Holliston, MA USA
... This guy just decided to build his own.

And no, its no model, the pilot rides IN it!

theballybomber_2013_0270.jpg

http://theballybomber.com/

He's gonna need a very tiny tail gunner.

He's gonna need a very tiny tail gunner.
a monkey comes to mind...we could all use one...and this is exactly the situation that justifies it.

a monkey comes to mind...we could all use one...and this is exactly the situation that justifies it.

I know. That is what I keep telling people.

Reactions: Delta-T
I wonder if it's been flown yet. I looked through most of the zillions of pics on the website, and didn't see one of this beautiful aircraft off the ground.

From the pics it looks like they fired up the engines, but I didn't see any air shots either.

Yes I don't believe its flown yet. They have to get it inspected by the FAA for an experimental aircraft airworthiness cert. First. The pilot will probably have to carry a multiengine rating also.

even if it wont fly, i bet it would do a heck of a number on that corn field.

Reactions: Swedishchef
For the encore, he should build a 1/3 scale B-36. _g

If you ever wanted to fly in a B-17, they used to do it out of Willow Run airport here in Michigan. Not sure if they still do, but a guy I used to work with got a flight as a birthday gift from his wife. He was still grinning when he came back in to work. I know somebody still flies one out of there, because I saw it go over today.

Not quite as cool as building your own, but still cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.