Ever want to go sharpen another wood cutter's chain?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
While out cutting, I could here some one running a saw.
Wide open, never sounded like it was under load. Seemed to take 3 minutes at full speed before he let off the throttle when the log was finally cut once. Making saw "Dust" for hours
Drove me nuts.

Prolly me, but I just held it wide open to get a few logs done, my saw is so badass it dosen;t bog. :p

Reactions: quads
Yes, but no. A neighbor and his buddy did the same thing with a small maple. That small tree could have been cut up in a few minutes. I shook my head when the saw tip hit the driveway a few times. It was funnier when he went to drop it in the driveway and it landed in the road instead. No, I did not go to help either. These guys were wearing shorts and no protective gear.

My 7900 doesn't hardly bog at all with a 28" skip tooth in 2'+ dead ash. I thought the same thing, but it was still making chips. I touch up at every tank. Green wood is a different story though.

My neighbor several years ago was out back of his house cutting. I could hear that little craftsman running at full throttle for.a long time, so eventually I went over. Smoke rolling off the chain, turns out the cutters were destroyed. "Oh, I didn't realize they needed sharpened from time to time.....", he said. Some people just aren't meant to use tools! Then there was my FIL, who used to log in the 70's. He came to the house one time a few years back asking me to sharpen the chain on his old Homelite XL. "I Just put a new chain on and it won't cut at all!", he said. Upon looking at it I could immediately see the chain was razor sharp, but it was put on backwards! I guess even seasoned veterans have a brain fart now and then! ;)

No......Most tree companys around here cut crooked as _ell!

Maybe he was cutting a whole log in 3 minutes & just locked the trigger to the bar.
Never went to investigate .
My saw has a different sound when under load than when wide open not in a log, when the chain is getting dull & when the chain is sharp.
That how I know it's time to sharpen. But my hearing ain't what it used to be.

I think Scotty has it right, I bet the chain was on backwards LOL

Reactions: ScotO
I get that urge every time the neighbor on either side is using their saw.

A few years ago I listened to that sound for what seemed like hours when they ganged up on a big tree down over one of their driveways after a storm. Finally couldn't stand it any more and drove down with Old Yaller and had it bucked in fifteen minutes and just walked away.

Reactions: Thistle
I do it the other way when me and my buddy are cutting. I will start to sharpen my saw and then start cussing, he will grab it and say"You ain't doing it right" and sharpen it for me!
Learned that from Tom Sawyer!:)

Gary

Reactions: Gark
I do it the other way when me and my buddy are cutting. I will start to sharpen my saw and then start cussing, he will grab it and say"You ain't doing it right" and sharpen it for me!
Learned that from Tom Sawyer!:) Gary

I had a second loader with the same train of thought. He would never sharpen his own saw and always had a good reason - dirty, fogged up, lost or forgot his glasses somewhere. Someone would always sharpen it for him. One day, when the safety rep showed up at the side, he even started to file while the saw was still running. Mr. Safety took the saw and demonstrated the safe way of doing it and ended up sharpening the whole chain!

My FIL is pretty bad about running a dull chain. I usually end up sharpening his saw whenever I pick it up. He's got a nice 026 that a real screamer when it is sharp....which isn't often.

I get that urge every time the neighbor on either side is using their saw.

A few years ago I listened to that sound for what seemed like hours when they ganged up on a big tree down over one of their driveways after a storm. Finally couldn't stand it any more and drove down with Old Yaller and had it bucked in fifteen minutes and just walked away.

I've had similar incidents. Pretty sad when you're outgunning 50-60cc saws with a 45cc MS250. ::-)

A few months ago PennDOT people were trimming trees along our road. They had nice Stihl saws (noticed a 362), but they were terribly dull (smoke, sawdust, and took forever). The one sharp chain they had was on a pole pruner, but the operator only knew how to cut from the top of a limb. :mad: I had to clean up their crappy cuts:

Maple_badcut003.jpg

Maple_badcut002.jpg

Maple_badcut001.jpg

I didn't say anything at the time, but I wrote a letter to their supervisor to tell them that I appreciated their work, but they need a refresher course on technique.

Reactions: Thistle
I dont blame you.There's no excuse for 'professionals' making those cuts.Reminds me of the jokers for the County Road Department clearing trees & brush along the ROW from a 3 mile stretch of gravel road in front of & NW of parent's acreage just 5 months ago.5 guys,3 pickups,2 smaller saws,1 big backhoe to 'guide' the trees down & push them in the direction they wanted across the road to be laid in the ditches then burned later.You wouldnt believe the crappy cuts - most all were 'V' cuts,no hinge/wedge & even 4" scrub along the fences looked like it was chewed off.

A few months ago PennDOT people were trimming trees along our road. They had nice Stihl saws (noticed a 362), but they were terribly dull (smoke, sawdust, and took forever). The one sharp chain they had was on a pole pruner, but the operator only knew how to cut from the top of a limb. :mad: I had to clean up their crappy cuts:

Maple_badcut003.jpg

Maple_badcut002.jpg

Maple_badcut001.jpg

I didn't say anything at the time, but I wrote a letter to their supervisor to tell them that I appreciated their work, but they need a refresher course on technique.

HOLY STUB!!! Someone needs to explain the difference between trimming a limb and removing a limb.

I went up and helped a friend drop and buck a couple of trees last week. His two saws need a lot more than a chain sharpening. Best thing would be to throw them in a dumpster and buy a new saw.

I've seen a couple saws get abused, but never said a word....they wouldn't listen anyway. My nieghbor for instance, had his saw get pinched....he just started tuggin' and pullin' his saw....I saw the chain pull away from the bar, and starting to tweak the bar....I finally handed him my saw (and watched closely), so he could cut and free his.

Status
Not open for further replies.