Ever wonder how Firewoods compared to Propane and Oil heat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Digger

Sep 3, 2015
Southwest Virginia
I'm sure this has been posted on this site many times over the years, but in case it hasn't check this link. It's a one page PDF file which does give at least the basics. Then get out the calculator and have at it. I rounded my numbers on the low side of hardwoods since I burn a wide variety of firewood, both hard and soft.

For me, I guestimated 20,000,000 btu's per cord divided by #2 oil at 138,500 btu's per gallon. 144.4 gallons per cord or about 288.8 gallons of fuel oil to equal 2 cord. For Propane (proPAIN !!! ) at 92,500 btu's per gallon, I would need 432.4 gallons to equal 2 cord.

I don't know what the going rate for fuel oil or propane is these days, but to me that adds up to a nice bit of savings especially since my firewood is free (other than the work to cut, split, and stack it).

Don't forget the cost of electricity to run the blowers. I went from an average of 32 kilowatt hours of usage a day during the winter months when I was burning fuel oil to 9 kilowatt hours of usage daily, but I also don't run the blower on the wood stove. I haven't found a need for it.

http://www.hrt.msu.edu/energy/pdf/heating value of common fuels.pdf

Reactions: davidmsem
I've only burned one year but enjoy the comfort, physically and emotionally, of burning. I did not save as much as I thought I would, but I'm still glad that I started burning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Little Digger
Considering I went through about 500 gallons of fuel oil the first winter I was here, I think the savings have been significant. That is after the new roof, adding proper ventilation, adding insulation, and sealing up air leaks. 500 gallons of fuel oil is roughly an equivalent to 3 and 1/3rd cord of wood. Last season I went though about 2 cord of wood and this season I'm hoping to use even less. My end goal is to be able to use one cord of wood per season or less.

Even if I needed to burn 10 cord of wood for a given season, I would. Wood heat doesn't seem to dry the air nearly as much as fuel oil or propane, and as you said (Dave) it is a comfort both physically and emotionally.

I cit my oil usage from 2000 gallons of #2 with no wood stove down to 800 last year with a catalytic BK working hard.

I make DHW wirh the oil furnace and the last daughter moved away in august. I can already see a difference in the water bill...

We used 800 gallons of propane the first year so I insulated the ceilings and the floors. Changed all the windows. This cut the usage to 600 gallons. Started burning wood full-time and cut consumption to 350 gallons. Now we use 225 gallons a year with the addition of a tank less hot water heater. So wood heat has saved me 250 gallons of propane a year or about $500. We use about 2.5 cords a year and keep the house and dogs a lot warmer then before. At that kind of savings we could buy our wood already cut and split.

Reactions: bad news
It's really not expensive for me to fire up the nat gas furnace and heat this house. But the stove keeps it more comfortable and even though the savings is small, it still adds up. It's as much or more about it being a hobby as it is saving money. We do save a bit, but the real payoff is in the satisfaction I get cutting, splitting, stacking wood and providing my own heat. I do enjoy seeing that minuscule gas bill though. I dry clothes, cook, heat water, and do run the furnace some for less than $50 a month at the worst.

Reactions: Jeffm1 and bad news
Heck around here there is almost $30 of add on charges before you even flip a switch or lite a burner $20 just for meter rental- ( dang I have paid for those meters many times over already)

Here in the Communist State of Virginia for the electrical charges alone there are quite a few erroneous charges. (generation services, transmission services, distribution services, VA consumption tax, local consumers tax) Otherwise my electrical bill would be $8.21 and maybe add in the generation service for another $12.82, but as it is with all the other charges, with several that seem to be duplicate, my monthly bill is in the range of $41 for a total of 279 kilowatt hours.

But it could be worse I suppose. If I were running the blower on the wood stove, that would raise it, and if I were using fuel oil and having to use the blowers my bills would skyrocket. But, it was inefficient so I removed the works. The complete setup is out in the shed including the vent pipe and cap that poked through the old roof.

I guess everyone these days is in it for the almighty dollar! If they can charge you for the air you breath, they will!

Reactions: Bigsby
I do agree at the current price of #2 it almost makes sense to use oil. With wood though the house is warmer, i do not feel bad getting the house to 78 F, and all my wood is free(except gas and time)

Reactions: Jeffm1
I put together a spreadsheet a few years ago with similar heating values, adjusted for efficiency of the appliance I would use to heat my house (example, a natural gas furnace loses 5-15% of its heat out the exhaust, and a ducted system loses 20-30% of its heat to the crawlspace/attic), and also costs, and then approximated how many BTU's I should need on a cool winter day. I did not try to factor in electricity to run blowers. Maybe down the road.

For the local energy costs and my house, these are some of my current approximations. Since energy costs vary by region, and heating demand varies by house, your numbers will definitely vary, but these figures are consistent with my power bills:

Heater @ Fuel Cost - Cost per day

Ducted Heat Pump @ $0.085/kWh - $3.43
Douglas Fir in EPA-certified Stove @ $200/cord - $3.81
Natural Gas Furnace @ $1.25/therm - $5.34
Wood Pellet Stove @ $250/ton - $5.82
Electric Baseboard @ $0.085/kWh - $7.65
Oil Furnace @ $2.50/gallon - $8.27
Electric Furnace @ $0.085/kWh - $9.56
Propane Furnace @ $2.50/gallon - $11.73

The spreadsheet started out to help decide how to replace a 30 year old electric furnace - my real estate agent thought propane was a good idea, but between high propane prices and low electricity prices in the NW, it turned out to be a bad idea. I included natural gas out of curiosity, but it's not available at my house. It also helped me realize how much money I save by burning a fire when the weather gets too cold for the heat pump, so the auxiliary heat takes over at almost $10/day.

We averaged 1,300 gallons of LP a year from 2005-2008 (highest was 1,550 gallons), with a 92% efficient furnace. 2009 is when we started using wood (fireplace) to supplement.

Last edited:
Nothing to compare to in this house. It's never had anything but wood heat and some supplementation with electric heaters at the coldest times. That's probably behind me now since I put in a duct & blower to bring the hot air to the other end of the house.

Even in last winter's bitterest cold, the coldest we've had while in this house, and we were plenty comfortable without any need for electric heat. Used less wood, too.

When you figure the cost of free wood, some gas & maintenance for the splitter and saws, and I'm pretty sure we're coming out on the favorable end of the calculation.

My neighbor was just telling me this week it takes 1000 gals of oil to heat and run his house every year.

I am keeping a closer eye on my wood piles from now on :rolleyes:

My other neighbor is all electric...he gets $1000.00 monthly bills during the winter.

Stay away from my wood....::-)

bob

I burn 5 cord of hard wood a year
The oil furnace is there and a new oil tank
never bought any oil in the last 36 years
Only reason for oil furnace is for the insurance Co
Thy think oil is my primary heat source . Yes they
know I heat with wood !!::-)::-)

I don't know what the going rate for fuel oil or propane is these days, but to me that adds up to a nice bit of savings especially since my firewood is free (other than the work to cut, split, and stack it).

I bought my house in 2011 and was using an oil furnace the first winter. Back then oil cost around $3.80/gallon in the Seattle area. That number may have been different in other parts of the country. After I got my first oil delivery bill (little over $1,000 in February) I started looking into alternate heat sources and that's what lead me to Hearth.com. Been warm and happy ever since. Spent about $3,500 on the stove + liner, did install myself and have probably recouped that cost already in oil savings.

I cry when I see your rates down there. Here in Ontario I pay .20 cents /kwh total with all taxes and charges and during the winter use 100kwh/day, but that is for two houses. Two water pumps, numerous fridges and freezers, two DHW tanks and lighting. We have a three tier hydro billing rate with the cheapest in the middle of the night,
We cut and burnt about 12 bush cord last year, mostly maple, some oak, birch, ash, beach and poplar. The first ten years we were here I was able to use dead wood while only heating one house but now I am cutting live wood and its hard getting it to dry before it goes into the woodshed. Once it is in there, only the outside row seems to dry much more.
One year we had a buddy with a new wood processor show up. We went from logs to woodshed in two hours....four bush cord. Two years later that last row of wood was still not dry....

I put together a spreadsheet a few years ago with similar heating values, adjusted for efficiency of the appliance I would use to heat my house (example, a natural gas furnace loses 5-15% of its heat out the exhaust, and a ducted system loses 20-30% of its heat to the crawlspace/attic), and also costs, and then approximated how many BTU's I should need on a cool winter day. I did not try to factor in electricity to run blowers. Maybe down the road.

For the local energy costs and my house, these are some of my current approximations. Since energy costs vary by region, and heating demand varies by house, your numbers will definitely vary, but these figures are consistent with my power bills:

Heater @ Fuel Cost - Cost per day

Ducted Heat Pump @ $0.085/kWh - $3.43
Douglas Fir in EPA-certified Stove @ $200/cord - $3.81
Natural Gas Furnace @ $1.25/therm - $5.34
Wood Pellet Stove @ $250/ton - $5.82
Electric Baseboard @ $0.085/kWh - $7.65
Oil Furnace @ $2.50/gallon - $8.27
Electric Furnace @ $0.085/kWh - $9.56
Propane Furnace @ $2.50/gallon - $11.73

The spreadsheet started out to help decide how to replace a 30 year old electric furnace - my real estate agent thought propane was a good idea, but between high propane prices and low electricity prices in the NW, it turned out to be a bad idea. I included natural gas out of curiosity, but it's not available at my house. It also helped me realize how much money I save by burning a fire when the weather gets too cold for the heat pump, so the auxiliary heat takes over at almost $10/day.
Your heat pump to auxiliary heat calculations look similar to mine. My woodstove is not EPA certified, so I figure with the lower efficiency I can pay around $150 per cord of Doug Fir and breakeven with the heat pump. But I only get "free" wood which has some costs like chainsaw fuel, driving to pick it up, etc. This really is a hobby more than cost saving strategy, but it is nice when you can do both.

Your heat pump to auxiliary heat calculations look similar to mine. My woodstove is not EPA certified, so I figure with the lower efficiency I can pay around $150 per cord of Doug Fir and breakeven with the heat pump. But I only get "free" wood which has some costs like chainsaw fuel, driving to pick it up, etc. This really is a hobby more than cost saving strategy, but it is nice when you can do both.

what SEER are you using to determine your heat pump costs?

We were spending around $1500/year to keep our semi uninsulated concrete block ranch a chilly 68'. We now keep it a cozy 73-75 (everyone knows wood heat is just warmer) for only the cost to css and run the blower on the wood furnace..........pennies on the dollar for us! Never going back to propane!

I used to heat my whole house with a natural gas boiler. Five years ago we put in the new Oslo to replace the old Sears stove and have never looked back. The stove heats 3/4 of our house very comfortably. I know the stove has paid for itself so far, but with gas prices the way they are I can see why people use it. I do agree with others that the heat from wood burning is much nicer. I love a warm house this time a year, plus processing firewood is a enjoyable time plus great exercise. I don't think I could ever own a house with having a stove for some extra heat. Plus having a forty dollar a month gas bill in the middle of winter is very easy on the pocket book. I say burn on.

I would guess with todays oil prices oil might be cheaper than wood if you factor in the cost of either paying to have the wood delivered or the costs of the chainsaws, chains, fuel, bar oil, etc. Plus the time involved.

I burn 5 cord of hard wood a year
The oil furnace is there and a new oil tank
never bought any oil in the last 36 years
Only reason for oil furnace is for the insurance Co
Thy think oil is my primary heat source . Yes they
know I heat with wood !!::-)::-)

Might want to fill that tank up this year with the current prices..
I'm in a similar boat as you. I heat primarily with my woodstove, but still use a little bit of oil here and there when I go away for the weekend. This tank should last me about 3 years though at the current rate of usage.

I would guess with todays oil prices oil might be cheaper than wood if you factor in the cost of either paying to have the wood delivered or the costs of the chainsaws, chains, fuel, bar oil, etc. Plus the time involved.

I estimate that heating oil at $2/gallon in a mid-efficiency (~85%) boiler has roughly the same effective cost 25 million BTU/cord hardwood valued at $325 a cord, with no other costs included in either.

If using a furnace, that pushes the effective cost of heating oil up a bit more, because you'll lose some heat from any ducts that run through a crawlspace or attic. On the other hand, I suppose in some places you can get oil for less than $2/gallon right now.

So economically, the picture still looks pretty good for wood, but each person does have to give consideration to how much they value their time, and if factors like the coziness of a fire or the bit of extra mess of wood add or subtract any value to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.