Ever wonder if old, soggy pellets would burn in your stove? So did I....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krooser

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2008
Waupaca, WI
www.rumblefest.net
So I had one bag of Western Elites, my dealers house brand doug fir pellets, that had gotten wet... just one bag.

Don't know how...that bag was two or three rows down on the pallet... but the pellets were soggy and crumbly when I opened the bag. I set it aide in my shop.

So today I went out to fire up the stove so I could mess around out there and I grabbed a half-empty bag of pellets... never gave it a thought. Poured them in and I could see they were mostly sawdust and fines... maybe 50% whole pellets. CRAP! Now what? So I did what every cheap-ass has done once in a while... I lit the stove! What could happen.. an auger jam? Won't stay lit?

We'll see... I cranked it up to five and went inside the house.

Nine hours later I remembered that I hadn't gone out to the shop... and I had forgotten about those "bad" pellets. I strolled out to the shop and, sure enough, the fire was out. Now what? I guess I rolled the dice and lost...

So I opened the hopper lid and WTF?... no pellets! It burned all those soggy-ass pellets and fines and sawdust... gobbled it all up until it ran dry.

I'm really surprised.

Could be termites... most likely carpenter ants around here...

I am really surprised.. i have 1/2 five gallon pail with the leftovers... i might just pour those in toady to finish 'em off....

To be fair the pellets had dried quite a bit... but they still felt a little damp. i guess they worked good in the hot fire.

Hello Krooser

I can drink alot of alcohol at night and things are fine until the next morning!!

So Krooser, I would give your Auger's Bushing a good Lube after that!! Before it is too late!!

Status
Not open for further replies.