Ever wonder what 462 mph was like ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shawneyboy

Minister of Fire
Oct 5, 2010
NE PA
Pretty cool video, on the Salt Flats.

I don't think our atv would keep up for too long. Can you imagine how smooth that surface has to be?

I'm imagining what happens what you have to sneeze . . . :wow:

Crazy stuff.

What gives me goosebumps is thinking back on the crap I pulled as a teen behind the wheel. He was probably safer pulling that stunt than we were in a damn Oldsmobile. :grrr:

pen

Intense. I'm thinking...wow...all it takes is one thing to go wrong - one bolt loosens up, an errant turn of the wheel, anything....

agartner said:
Intense. I'm thinking...wow...all it takes is one thing to go wrong - one bolt loosens up, an errant turn of the wheel, anything....

Agreed. Even w/ good design, safely traveling on ground at those speeds requires a nice bit of luck.

pen

300's more than enough to kill you...always has been. This from 1967. I remember when it happened quite well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvItDfQIJ50&feature=related

Both Donald Campbell and his father, Sir Malcolm Campbell held both land and water speed records during their lives. If the history of this sort of pursuit interests you, I'd highly recommend reading about these two remarkable men. Rick

You gotta wonder what a helmet will do for you at those speeds. I guess it is a requirement to wear one but at those speeds....if something happens..... forget about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.