Ever work all weekend, take a look at the stack, and say...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeerHunter

Jun 25, 2012
Adirondacks, NY
..."Is that all?"

Worked a downed red oak this weekend for about 7 hrs total. The property is adjacent to our Church, so I was able to get the trailer about 70 yds to the cutting place. However, we needed to go under a main (~20" dia) branch, over the trunk (~25" dia), then over a rock wall to get the rounds out.

Pics show before and after of the tree, along with the resulting round stack.

IMG-20120704-00112.jpgIMG-20120812-00179.jpgIMG-20120813-00180.jpg

I guess it all adds up.

Deerhunter, nice haul. One of my first years on this site I cut during the summer, fall and winter leaving split stacks like that all over our property, boy was I surprised how much we had when I started hauling it out in the spring.

Nice work.
Zap

70 yards is a long way to haul wood, no wonder. That is when a quad with a trailer sure comes in handy. You got a workout having to carry rounds that far.

Wow, that's quite a workout. That far away, no wonder it took so long and netted less than expected.
Still looks like a nice haul. Split it, then restack........maybe it'll look bigger.;)

I am probably the least productive wood processor there is <> .....I just enjoy doing it, so don't feel bad.

That's how it is on almost every job we do on the side. Kuttin up those big trees looks easy, until you start doing it in and 10 hours later you look back on all you got for the day. Just like jack straw said, I do it cuz I enjoy doing it!

It always looks like more when your looking at the uncut trees, found that out the first time I did it, nice haul though, looks like some good wood.

yep.

one tree at a time and before you know it you'll have a pile.
then you get to split and stack it!

nice haul. probably alot easier with your helper along;) .

Some hard work there but some great wood.

Look at it as a pile of money, it helps.

Looks like you had a good helper :)
All fire wood is work. You did some of the harder firewood work & I bet it's real nice to look at the rounds stacked up.
Just think how good (sore but good) you'll feel after it's split & stacked

No such thing as "easy firewood", some is just easier than other. ;)

Reactions: gmule
Nice haul, but sounds like y'all had an obstacle course! Nice to see your helper involved.
I am noticing my first stacks don't look as big as i thought they would :confused:

Very nice cull DH. Is most of what I see in pic #2 the church property? Looks like a lot of choice hardwood on that lot. Do you get first dibs on it?

Nicely done. For me cutting is the fun part, the rest is work. Moving it through a 70 yard obstacle course sounds like a major workout!

Very nice cull DH. Is most of what I see in pic #2 the church property? Looks like a lot of choice hardwood on that lot. Do you get first dibs on it?

This tree was on the property line and fell to the neighbor's side. I went and made nice and now, I guess I do get first dibs. Best part is that it is 1/2 mile from the casa :)

Reactions: Realstone
Status
Not open for further replies.