evergreen trees can they be burned

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kscowboy

Dec 30, 2009
kansas
can evergreen and trees of that type be burned in furnace or stove

Most evergreen trees in Kansas pastures and CRP fields are Eastern Red Cedar, which is actually in the Juniper family of trees. I split, stack, and then season a couple years before burning. Otherwise they will really gum up the stovepipe with creosote. When dry it burns well and smells great.

Eastren Red Cedar

Juniperus virginiana

Oh boy, here we go, the tired old 'CAN I BURN PINE" argument.

The answer is yes, you can burn any tree, (except maybe petrified) if you can cut it, buck it, split it, and season it to around 20% or less moisture content, in an EPA rated stove.

ansehnlich1 said:
The answer is yes, you can burn any tree, (except maybe petrified) if you can cut it, buck it, split it, and season it to around 20% or less moisture content, in an EPA rated stove.
man you are picky. if you can fit it into your stove it will burn. this splitting (except to size), seasoning, and EPA rated bit isn't necessary, but preferred.

wetwood said:
Most evergreen trees in Kansas pastures and CRP fields are Eastern Red Cedar, which is actually in the Juniper family of trees. I split, stack, and then season a couple years before burning. Otherwise they will really gum up the stovepipe with creosote. When dry it burns well and smells great.

Eastren Red Cedar

Juniperus virginiana

They won't gum up your pipes any more than unseasoned hardwood.

Hi -

Yes of course! Houses are made of pine and burn great!

I avoid them because the sap is annoying and they take up more space than hardwood. Since I take trees of opportunity (Say my MIL calls), I'm sometimes obliged to remove one and they burn fine.

If you have limited storage space you might want to stick with hardwood.

ATB,
Mike

zzr7ky said:
Hi -

Yes of course! Houses are made of pine and burn great!

I avoid them because the sap is annoying and they take up more space than hardwood. . .

I try to avoid burning houses as well . . . but not because of the sap or space. ;) :)

Sorry Mike . . .

But getting serious again . . . like other folks have said softwood, hardwood . . . it's all good . . . as long as the wood is seasoned. I generally burn more hardwood than softwood for some of the reasons Mike mentioned (the sap, burn faster than hardwood, etc.) but I will not hesitate to cut up a softwood tree if it is in my way and I routinely burn softwood slabs -- they work especially well in the shoulder season, as kindling and on those days when I don't mind feeding the fire a bit more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.